• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Rzr Crash at HPO this Weekend?

JROwens

Heard there was a bad crash at HPO this weekend. Anyone have any details? Are they ok?

It was two men in a RZR XP 900, the cage collapsed on the passenger, trapping him during the rollover and causing head injuries. he was med flighted to Hospital and is in ICU.

Dwalk said:
It was two men in a RZR XP 900, the cage collapsed on the passenger, trapping him during the rollover and causing head injuries. he was med flighted to Hospital and is in ICU.

This is sad to hear, i hope he gets better. My thoughts and prayers go out to those guys and their families.

stock cage??? didnt someone else have bad problems w/ one of those cages... did they have helmets on??? good luck to them...

Thoughts and prayers for them and the families.

I was the one that just had the passenger side cage collapse.
I was lucky enough not to have a passenger at the time.

The stock cage in my rzr 4 is coming out this weekend. I usually dont do anything to crazy in mine but accidents do happen. My thoughts and prayers are with the the guy who got injured and his family..

From what I heard they were going down the main hill fast and flipped. Both were flown out. One of them has been released and the other has neck and head injuries. Both were talking when they were flown out. The cage had to be cut off of one of them. I was not there so this is what a friend told me that was there.

I talk with one of the guys that run the park and the driver got thrown out, bang up his head and mouth bad but has been released for hospital, the passenger is still in ICU, he has some neck & head injuries, we need to keep him in our thought, this will be tuff on both guys.

the wreck happen where the mountain side road runs into the main road, you have a rain ditch and he was going down the main road went over the rain ditch and endow

KINGSNAKE said:
just got and update @ 10:30am the passenger has been moved to a regular room and doing good, talking like he might go home tomorrow :dblthumb:

This is good to hear! Hopefully everyone can learn from this tragic event and improve their rigs to be more safe. thumb.gif

I was able to go down to the wreck just before they started cutting the passenger out. The cage on the rzr was just about flush with the dash. I very disappointed in the cage. It was a bad wreck but i would have expected the cage to hold better than that. Those guys are very lucky to still be with us. I dont know much about rzr's but I would think for the money that those things cost a better designed DOM cage would not eat into their profit margin to bad to save someones life. just my .02 but i am a nobody.

The problem is they keep making them go faster without changing the cage to handle these 40-60mph rolls. We had a cpl bad cage collapses in the buggy world a few years ago and made alot of us go and reinforce our cages to survive the bad rolls. They keep having these problems and there is going to start being lawsuits, just watch. I'd hate to see these become another 3wheeler story.

redbarron said:
I was able to go down to the wreck just before they started cutting the passenger out. The cage on the rzr was just about flush with the dash. I very disappointed in the cage. It was a bad wreck but i would have expected the cage to hold better than that. Those guys are very lucky to still be with us. I dont know much about rzr's but I would think for the money that those things cost a better designed DOM cage would not eat into their profit margin to bad to save someones life. just my .02 but i am a nobody.

There is a bunch of issues with the cage design, not just material choice. If you look at them there is absolutely zero triangulation unless you count those little POS gussets. I guess their engineers thought that big ass rectangles and squares were safer ::) I have been putting off building a cage for mine since the day I bought(roughly 5 months ago) it but I think I will start bending some tube this weekend. I want my family, friends and myself to be safe. I also hate the look of the stock cages. But I do agree that this is something Polaris needs to take in to consideration. These things can go 70+mph through some pretty rough stuff and people will always try to push the limits. I think people have a false sense of security just because they see a cage above their head. Hell even with a full chromoly, tig welded, heat treated, nothing but triangles cage people still might not walk away from a 70mph crash.

heard today that brian is at home now the crash actually busted his scull and broke his back and his neck he has cast from his waist up. people got to be more safe in these things when there stock or upgrade upgrade upgrade.

glad they are goin to be ok... if i bought a rzr i would build a cage and put harness in it first thing same as i did my rhino