• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Kelly Builds Wyatt a Shaved & Narrowed 14b Rear

blacksheep10

XBJRA champ/ 555 and team Nasty codriver
Kansas, where we know how to wheel, nowhere to go
hitit hitit
no, really, I'm narrowing and shaving the **** out of a heavy ass pig to make it more racer friendly. his current 60 rear isnt shaved, has steering and knuckles and joints and **** in it, etc, so the weight should be comparable. bet your ass we will find out to the pound.
Yesterday:
stripped a 14 I had laying around of all its hubs/shafts/carrier/pinion support/everyfuckingthingelse and plasma'd off the brackets and perches.

Today:
after grading a ****ing yard for my bro in law for free this morning, dragging down and shooting in screenings for a guy that's helping us on our insurance claim on michelle's new car (hail) and fixing the exhaust on my step aunt in law's car for free, I did some work on wyatt's **** while positioning my mill and other things.
cut the axle tube down for 2 short side shafts. Okay, this is what's ****ed up about 14's. on Dana axles, you have a tube that's a constant dia. thorughout. the 14 has a rolled and welded (forged maybe) tube. at the center section, it tapers up immensely and is then machined back to fit in teh cast part. at teh spindle, the tube is tapered down about 2" before the spindle, then the spindle is part of the tube. no ****, its rolled with it and fused, then machined back as well. I cut the end of the tube off and started grinding, poking at it with sticks, lathing, ****ing around and no fusion lines. from teh inside you can clearly see its forged in as one piece, the tube starts as a plate that's rolled (like any tube but seamless), only this one starts as a plate big on one end and small on the other. its funny looking in the spindle from teh axle tube side it tapers instead of being a step. the taper is all rough from forming and th emilled out portion for the axle relief is only cut on one side of the inner dia. because of forming imperfections. I chucked it up in the lathe and turned 3/4" off the OD of 2" of it. Holy FAWK this this is hard. I was having ben machine mine for the hybrids on his lathe, and his machinist and he both said how hard they are. wow. this **** cuts like tool steel. so after that 2 hours at the lathe, it was ready to go into the axle tube that was cut to length and prepped. I also put the BRAND NEW ring rear on a carrier half and chucked it up and turned 3/8" off the dia with a 9" grinder blade. that ring gear is stupid hard.
I also ground the housing down. I feel that I will put the new ring on the carrier tomorrow and put it in the housing, shave the housing, and make the plate to go back in there sit on the ring gear. then I'll grind 1/8" clearance in the bottom plate once its welded. I don't feel like spacing it out, plus that's another 1/8". this bish is going to have better clearance than his 60 that was in there, and be bomb proof with a 10.125" ring gear, detroit, 1.5625" shafts, and 2" of spindle engagement in the tube on teh shortened side :flipoff1:
yes, I left my camera in the shop, no there aren't pics til tomorrow :flipgotcha:

Re: Kelly gives wyatt's rear end an overhaul

It is tomorrow, waiting on pics :flipoff1: :fish:

Matt O. said:
Cool project, be cool to see the weight difference

It will be lighter, by how much is the question. At least my tierod, and lockout bar are 7075, so they are already lightwieght.

You know what would make this thread cooler?

Pics :flipoff1: :flipoff1:

Sounds cool wyatt, I would like to see what a shaved to piss super high clearance weighs in at full dressed. Sweetness!

blacksheep10 said:
hitit hitit
no, really, I'm narrowing and shaving the **** out of a heavy ass pig to make it more racer friendly. his current 60 rear isnt shaved, has steering and knuckles and joints and **** in it, etc, so the weight should be comparable. bet your ass we will find out to the pound.
Yesterday:
stripped a 14 I had laying around of all its hubs/shafts/carrier/pinion support/everyfuckingthingelse and plasma'd off the brackets and perches.

Today:
after grading a ****ing yard for my bro in law for free this morning, dragging down and shooting in screenings for a guy that's helping us on our insurance claim on michelle's new car (hail) and fixing the exhaust on my step aunt in law's car for free, I did some work on wyatt's **** while positioning my mill and other things.
cut the axle tube down for 2 short side shafts. Okay, this is what's ****ed up about 14's. on Dana axles, you have a tube that's a constant dia. thorughout. the 14 has a rolled and welded (forged maybe) tube. at the center section, it tapers up immensely and is then machined back to fit in teh cast part. at teh spindle, the tube is tapered down about 2" before the spindle, then the spindle is part of the tube. no ****, its rolled with it and fused, then machined back as well. I cut the end of the tube off and started grinding, poking at it with sticks, lathing, ****ing around and no fusion lines. from teh inside you can clearly see its forged in as one piece, the tube starts as a plate that's rolled (like any tube but seamless), only this one starts as a plate big on one end and small on the other. its funny looking in the spindle from teh axle tube side it tapers instead of being a step. the taper is all rough from forming and th emilled out portion for the axle relief is only cut on one side of the inner dia. because of forming imperfections. I chucked it up in the lathe and turned 3/4" off the OD of 2" of it. Holy FAWK this this is hard. I was having ben machine mine for the hybrids on his lathe, and his machinist and he both said how hard they are. wow. this **** cuts like tool steel. so after that 2 hours at the lathe, it was ready to go into the axle tube that was cut to length and prepped. I also put the BRAND NEW ring rear on a carrier half and chucked it up and turned 3/8" off the dia with a 9" grinder blade. that ring gear is stupid hard.
I also ground the housing down. I feel that I will put the new ring on the carrier tomorrow and put it in the housing, shave the housing, and make the plate to go back in there sit on the ring gear. then I'll grind 1/8" clearance in the bottom plate once its welded. I don't feel like spacing it out, plus that's another 1/8". this bish is going to have better clearance than his 60 that was in there, and be bomb proof with a 10.125" ring gear, detroit, 1.5625" shafts, and 2" of spindle engagement in the tube on teh shortened side :flipoff1:
yes, I left my camera in the shop, no there aren't pics til tomorrow :flipgotcha:

Sounds made up!! With no pics!! :flipoff1: :flipoff1: :flipoff1:

Wyatt what are you doing with the current axle? :dunno:

its just a narrow and shave project, nothing terribly new.
okay, here you go:
the formed inner part of the spindle, kind of cool
100_2335.jpg

you can see how uneven it is, becuase when they formed it it wasn't perfect. then they machined it for the axle to have a place to run, and there is only machining on one side, the other side is still virgin from the process. if you can't tell, I'm enamored with this.
100_2337.jpg

you can see the seam and the inside of the resistance weld joint. looks just like the inside of a piece of non DOM tubing. also notice how uneven it is to the cut on the outside diameter. it is thin on part of the wall, and thick on the other. I assure you the ouside is true with the bearing journals and seal land, the inside is out of round because of the forming.
100_2336.jpg

here is the taper up at the center and the taper down at the spindle
100_2343.jpg

100_2344.jpg

even with those tapers, the wall thickness stays consistant, until the spindle where they really jumped down and needed room to machine steps for the races and seal, etc.

tube seam partially cleaned up
100_2345.jpg

tube 4" shorter (the other 2" to make up the 6" difference slides inside this, for centering reasons)
100_2334.jpg

holy **** this took a long ass time, and I had to sharpen tooling twice during it. I took almost 3/8" off each side.
100_2332.jpg

I pulled the bearing off one side of the carrier half and bolted the new 4.88 ring to it, then chucked up behind the bearing land so it wouldn't be scored. I put the cutter up to a tooth after I had trued the piece and then went to my right until the gap was 3/16" or a little more. then I put my sharpie on the tool rest and spun it by hand to put a mark for the max amount I would grind off.
100_2340.jpg

I took off a healthy 1/8"
100_2341.jpg

with old faithful
100_2339.jpg

old faithful almost took part of my finger as well, a little slip.
100_2346.jpg
I know, wha. grinder burns just seem to sting way worse than real wounds though.

Good informative pics! Damn the floor of your shop looks like **** :flipoff1:

its the old farm shop. there's a big block out of a grain truck sitting right in front of the lathe and drill press. I try to keep my parts out in my parts storage grain bins and on my mezzanine next door, but dad thinks shop floor space is storage space. that's a truck radiator that's too valuable to put in with my pile of rads, etc. and the floor floor is covered in about 1/4" of oil mixed with dirt because dad doesn't think scraping up **** when you're done is a good idea ::) I can't wait to have my 60x60 done, but I can wait on the up in utilities and insurance :eek:

Cole said:
Wyatt what are you doing with the current axle? :dunno:
Putting it on an axle dolly and pushing it into the corner :dunno:
Brackets will be the same on the new axle, so if I ever decide to go back to rearsteer I'll have it. Or take it and my extra HP front and build a single seater or something??? :dunno:

so what's it cost to have you do the shave, grind, cover work?

rockwild said:
so what's it cost to have you do the shave, grind, cover work?

Kelly is reasonable. He won't do your **** for free, but what I feel my price was well worth it.

thanks for the cryptic **** response rob :flipgotcha:

Just tryin to put together an exact cost to pull the trigger on upgrades

Let's see some overall pics of this pig

Also what's the goal width and what shafts?
How you shortening it and recentering it?

laughing1 laughing1 laughing1 laughing1

well call his ass and ask him, you have his #...

Maybe Kelly will sponsor you :flipoff1:

It's fukkin cheap just nut up and do it, and if you can't afford the labor on the axle then get a grinder wheel and do it yerself :flipgotcha:

See I had thought he'd already done a short 14b for you. Turns out, you guys had talked and then it went cold, he'll still do one for you.

He needs to chime in, but if you supply the hard parts, gears, locker, disc brakes, axle. WHICH ADDS up.
He has a gear and locker hookup, disc brakes from Oriellys is cheap. The axles are the flier. The best way is to take two 14b's and steal the shortside from one and put it in place of the longside of the one you are using. Though Kelly is trying to perfect the shortining of the longside on mine. Kinda a tough deal due to the taper of the whoel thing. It may or may not work. He's still in R&D.
He'll assemble and do the shortening, and shaving. Vagueness??? Of course, I'm not going to price Kellys work on the board, then 4 years from now he gets a call to do one for the price that person saw here.