• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

1/2 Ton 1990 Suburban, Scary??

ToyMater

I just bought a 1990 Suburban, 5.7 efi, auto, 4x4, 1/2 ton. Does anyone have any opinion on towing with an automatic suburban a tandem axle carhauler with a 3900 pound truck on the trailer?? Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
CoDy ;)

Break early, & make sure you have good trailer brakes.....on both axles.
If it has the same rear end as the 86's let me know when you need new axles.
I have a set that have less than 1500 miles on them. :;

I have a 3/4 now :cool:

It is just htat the gearing is not optimal. I wouldnt regear it though, just throwing good money away on a temporary thing. I know people that have towed with a 1/2ton for years without trouble. There is just a reason they make 3/4tons for towing, brakes, and gearing are all better for it. I say **** it run it. Just keep track of the tranny temp on long hills if it has an o/d tranny.

I had a 1/2 ton 89 Burb with a 5.7

First thing, replace the trans with a T400 and add a cooler (and a trans temp gauge). If its lifted, you'll want to gear down too. You would have been better served to buy a 3/4 ton, but too late now.
I went through two 700R4's and one set of 4.56 gears towing a travel trailer (6 inch lift and 35's).

I have 3.73s in my 2wd tahoe and I put a tbi spacer and a super chip programer in it. It tow pretty well. Brake early and leave distance between you and the car in front of you.

Well.. It just has to work for the next year or so then I will be sellin it and gettin a cummins :D . It doesnt have any lift and it only got 31x10.50's on it, I am not sure about the gearing but I am hoping to have trouble free towing for like 3 outings a year of 150 mile drives. I wont be towing like crazy, just once in a great christmas I will be. I appreciate all the input. The other tranny that was mentioned earlier other than the 700r4, is that the cast iron 4spd you guys were talkin about??

mmm small axles, small bearings, small brakes, slopy early 700r4, and a gloriously underpowerd tbi motor...

god your guna love that cummins! lol...

Latest posts

Back