• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

37" tire options?

toyotajeep

I am preparing to buy some tires later this spring for my Jeep. In the past I have always ran 38" Gumbo's that are bias ply.

For this rig, I was looking at something slightly smaller and a bit more street freindly.

I run in the deep snow where you air down and float a bit so I need a fairly wide tire.

I think I have narrowed it down to the 37" Toyo or the 37" IROK's. I would like to get reasonable service life out of them.

If you were choosing between the two tire options, which would you choose and why?

Thoughts or ideas? Maybe other options?

Thanks, ROB

I think I would like them as well except for the width issue. I want the floatation that I can get out of a 14" wide tire.

Opinions on the 12.5" tire MTR for floatation?

Thanks, ROB

The iroks will do awesome offroad, whereas I have read the Toyos aren't so great. If your going to go with a street friendly tire go with the MTRs.

I've read that the MTR's a great in snow, JPFREAK could attest to this, I can't cos we don't get that much snow down here....:mad: :mad:

I guess I should add that within a year or two I will be going larger for the winter and running these during the summer.

Once I get my DD back from letting others use it.

I "kinda" like the idea of the Toyo's but if they aren't too swell in the deep stuff I would rather not.

Thanks for the ideas, ROB

toyotajeep said:
I think I would like them as well except for the width issue. I want the floatation that I can get out of a 14" wide tire.

Opinions on the 12.5" tire MTR for floatation?

Thanks, ROB

If I'm breaking trial in the snow I run my MTRs at 2-3 PSI (yes with beadlocks). They seem to put down plenty of tire and grip very well.

JPFREAK said:
If I'm breaking trial in the snow I run my MTRs at 2-3 PSI (yes with beadlocks). They seem to put down plenty of tire and grip very well.

We used to run that pressure without beadlocks? :wtf: :D

I was thinking the same thing, that pressure seems high especially with beadlocks.

As for tires, I've heard the Toyo work good in snow but it is also comes with a weight penalty.

Last edited:
So far so good with my 33x12.5 MT/Rs. I have ran them in the snow a lot last spring and now this winter. The New Years run the snow was deep where I was push it and still was able to break trail to get turned around. I couldn't beleive I didn't get stuck. I am running open diffs. Most of the guys I was running with had tall MT/Rs and did great. One rig had IROCs with open diffs and was breaking trail most of the time.

So long story short, IROC kicked ass and the MT/Rs did great. The ones with other tires had problems.

Symon623 said:
We used to run that pressure without beadlocks? :wtf: :D

True, ran that pressure with my 36" Gumbo Mudders without beadlocks.

No need to go lower with the MTRs though.:;

Since I posted the question I got to digging around and it looks like most anything in the 37-38 range is around $300.00 with any real difference being negligible. I kinda knew that I guess.

Sadly the last 38" tires I bought new were back in the late 90's.........yeah it has been awhile.

FWIW - I remember that the bulge on my 38" bias ply at 1psi was about like my pals 38" Radial at 5-7PSI. No questions the radials were better.

Thanks for the idea and opinions. ROB

Latest posts

Back