• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4 - link suspension

fastcam78

What do you guys know about setting up a suspension that articulates well? what angles do you put the links at? ext.

Wow. Thats quite a first post. Not the best, thats for sure....

Um, before you get mashed on too hard, a simple Google search for 4 Links might yeild some results, not to mention some of the larger 4x4 boards such as Pirate.

There is NO WAY someone can just tell you angles and lengths of parts or type of parts since EVERY truck is different, even if you're comparing Toyota to Toyota, thats why they call it CUSTOM FABRICATION... ESPECIALLY when you don't even tell us what kind of truck you're working on.

Here is an article to get you started... Good luck!

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/suspension/131_0306_four_link_suspension_part_1/

~T.J.

Last edited:
Search the pirate board.

There is a suspension calculator somewhere on there so you can plug in your numbers and see what it will do.

I'll try to find the link.

I knew I would get chewed up and shat out for this topic because there are so many different ways of setting up suspensions. For me, Ive only Ive only delt with leaf springs. Time for something new. Thanks for the link to 4wheeloffroad article on 4-links, I learned allot. Far as my project Iam looking at doing a 70's cj7, 351 cleveland motor, 39.5 Irocks, dana 44 front and rear, and coil-overs or air shocks havent decided yet. Iam looking for a body and frame right now, but havent found anything worth dragging home.

Welcome aboard, I would rethink using 44's with 39's and a V-8, go with 60's or you will be breakin' stuff a lot.

Jaydog said:
Welcome aboard, I would rethink using 44's with 39's and a V-8, go with 60's or you will be breakin' stuff a lot.
Yes, dont even think about it. Get 60s and be done with it.:cool:

the 44 in the rear I was looking at the warn full floater kit, with the 30 spline inners. and the front would be open nuckle with 30 spline inner and the bigger spicer u - joints. I thought that would be plenty strong. If not, Ill go see what I can pick up for 1 ton running gear, just dont wanna be supper wide

fastcam78 said:
the 44 in the rear I was looking at the warn full floater kit, with the 30 spline inners. and the front would be open nuckle with 30 spline inner and the bigger spicer u - joints. I thought that would be plenty strong. If not, Ill go see what I can pick up for 1 ton running gear, just dont wanna be supper wide

Definitely not "plenty strong". With alloys and 300M joints you might "get by".

FYI, I'm on 40" MTR's with a HP44 with stock shafts and spicer joints, 4.0L I6, Auto, 4.3 in the t-case, and 5.13s. In approx 8 trips I've never broken a shaft, but I am EASY on the go-pedal.

If you're planning on 39's and a V8 from the beginning, go with a 60.

Thats what we are here for. I did the Polished 44 thing(alloys,and Superjoints) on 39.5s. I then broke a shaft about every 3 trips out:mad: . Now on 60s for over 2 years and I am glad to report no failures. I am not exactly easy on my ****, but will not hesitate to use the skinny pedal when necessary. Do it once , do it right.:cool:

From link suspensions to axles and right back to link suspensions..:haha: :haha: :haha:

Last edited:
For Excel, I think there is an opensource piece of software that can open the file. Even still, there is an online version. Let me organize the options below:

3 Link Calculator + Panhard Bar calculator. [Excel]
Download Here

4 Link Calculator Version 3.0[Excel]
Download Here

4 Link Calculator 1.5 [ONLINE VERSION!]* Note: this is not as current as the excel calculator
Download Here

*Big Props to Triaged on Pirate for constructing this!*

Latest posts

Back