• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

alignment

Dain Bramage

where do you guys go to get your alignment done? i dont really wanna take my truck to schwabbies, because i dont really trust them, and i know how they test drive them. anywhere else in the monroe/snohomish/lake stevens/everett area?

FordFrk06 said:
where do you guys go to get your alignment done? i dont really wanna take my truck to schwabbies, because i dont really trust them, and i know how they test drive them. anywhere else in the monroe/snohomish/lake stevens/everett area?
Mark both tires in the center-ish of the tread. PUt the marks on the front and measure. Spin the tires so the marks are on the rear and measure. Adjust tie rod so the front measurement is 1/8-1/4" smaller. Optional, drive in a straight line for a short distance and adjust drag link to straighten wheel. Done. Welcome to the world of do it yourself wheel alignments. There is nothing else to adjust if you did the swap correctly.

skrause said:
Mark both tires in the center-ish of the tread. PUt the marks on the front and measure. Spin the tires so the marks are on the rear and measure. Adjust tie rod so the front measurement is 1/8-1/4" smaller. Optional, drive in a straight line for a short distance and adjust drag link to straighten wheel. Done. Welcome to the world of do it yourself wheel alignments. There is nothing else to adjust if you did the swap correctly.
Unless you have camber issues...don't know if yota axles have problems with it but my d44 sure does

Grommit327 said:
Unless you have camber issues...don't know if yota axles have problems with it but my d44 sure does
There is no adjustment, aside from taking a really big jump and that usually adjusts them in the wrong direction. I've heard rumor of some special mythical offset ground knuckle bearing races to try and correct minor issues, but never seen them.

skrause said:
I guess Roger's straight-edge method is a little easier if you don't have a helper to hold the dumb end of the tape, but it's extra work. :corn:

Only you would have trouble. I did mine just fine.:flipoff:

GRNTACO said:
That's prolly because you cut the knuckles off.:corn:
Possibly...some d44's have this problem \----/ but mine has this /----\ (can't remeber which is negative and which is positive :rolleyes:)

Those knuckles are so tight on the axle tubes when you put them on I don't see how they can change camber much but maybe they did.

Grommit327 said:
Possibly...some d44's have this problem \----/ but mine has this /----\ (can't remeber which is negative and which is positive :rolleyes:)

Those knuckles are so tight on the axle tubes when you put them on I don't see how they can change camber much but maybe they did.

I remember seeing your tire wear. I must be a lucky one becasue my tires are wearing down the middle.

They make spindle and BJ shims to adjust the camber...I probably should get some to even out the wear before those tires are totally bald on the inside :D

Grommit327 said:
They make spindle and BJ shims to adjust the camber...I probably should get some to even out the wear before those tires are totally bald on the inside :D
Just adjust your toe in so they scrub more and go bal....er.....wear evenly. :flipoff: Is your axle housing "smiling"?

skrause said:
Just adjust your toe in so they scrub more and go bal....er.....wear evenly. :flipoff: Is your axle housing "smiling"?
Smiling...I doubt it (I'm definitely not). It's the thicker tubed D44 so I would hope it's not bent...especially since I haven't really abused/jumped it. It's funny...when you jack it up you can watch the tires droop to where they should be |----| but when it has weight on it they go /----\. At first I thought BJ's but it does it with new BJ's too. It's got me all confuseded :D

Grommit327 said:
Smiling...I doubt it (I'm definitely not). It's the thicker tubed D44 so I would hope it's not bent...especially since I haven't really abused/jumped it. It's funny...when you jack it up you can watch the tires droop to where they should be |----| but when it has weight on it they go /----\. At first I thought BJ's but it does it with new BJ's too. It's got me all confuseded :D
ya, that makes me think balljoints.... You sure it doesn't have a crack or something? Got the right preload on the balls?

I preloaded according to Partsmike specs...50lbs on the sleeve, 140 on the lower nut and 80 on the upper. I inspected the knuckle welds and they all look good. When I took the axle apart it had BJ sleeve shims in place...I just can't remember if they were for positive camber or negative camber

Latest posts

Back