• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Borgeson???

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
are these shafts worth the money, i'm thinking about just ponying up the $214 for the complete shaft and hopefully not worrying about it again. are they good for odd angles? mine might have to be a little catty-wompus:haha: but if the shaft isn't truely in line like a d-line will it ruin it or just add some unwanted stress?

Steering shaft?

I just bought the 3/4" round to 3/4" round weld on ujoints from www.speedwaymotors.com still cost $40 each but I only needed 2 plus the stock one on my steering box to get the steering shaft in the right spot. i have a couple of big angles in it, but its supported well with a couple hiems joints and a tube with bushing were it attaches to the steering wheel.

I used 3/4" coldrolled for the shafting.

Pook said:
Steering shaft?

I just bought the 3/4" round to 3/4" round weld on ujoints from www.speedwaymotors.com still cost $40 each but I only needed 2 plus the stock one on my steering box to get the steering shaft in the right spot. i have a couple of big angles in it, but its supported well with a couple hiems joints and a tube with bushing were it attaches to the steering wheel.

I used 3/4" coldrolled for the shafting.

would you be able to get a picture of it for me to look at to get a better idea of how it was done, i think i might just get the same joints youre talking about since they're cheaper and that's just how i roll...cheap:haha: :redneck:

plus, i heard you're supposed to have some slip in it so it doesn't break stuff when you flex around... is this true? or can i just have a solid shaft?

I'll get some pics this afternoon.

I have no "slip" in my steering shaft, but theres nothing stopping it from sliding in the hiems and bushings so the shaft is only fixed solid at one end (steering box) so if it did need to move it could move a bit. I have never noticed it moving though.

Worth it in my opion bought mine from a guy at swap meet in puyallup. Shaft, and 2 ujoints for $200. Took all the slop outta my wandering CJ.

blackcj7 said:
Worth it in my opion bought mine from a guy at swap meet in puyallup. Shaft, and 2 ujoints for $200. Took all the slop outta my wandering CJ.

the part im mainly worried about is the slop in my steering shaft itself up by the steering wheel, i'm kinda liking pook's idea of having it rest inside a piece of tub which i have some that might work for that idea, but mainly there is some slop in the bushings on my top half of the steering shaft(fixed part w/ steering wheel) and i don't know how to fix that also:mad:

i haven't forgotten wifes been out all day and has the digi camera in her purse... she never knows when she'll need to take a pic of our 6 month old. :rolleyes:

Funny this thread came up, i was at randy's offroad the other day eyeing one of the cruisers they are building, and they used the same shaft. They have one sitting in their shop waiting for me to get the proper funds. :clappy:

Latest posts

Back