• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

campers

skinny_pedal

been searching craigslist and there are quite a bit of campers in my price range right now. my question here is does anyone know how big of a camper will fit in a 6.5' bed? im sure a 8' would fit fine, maybe 9.5'? not sure

Depends on how much you want hanging out the back. Keep in mind that if it hangs over too much, you will have to get a super hitch. The main thing I would be concerned with is weight. Any camper will fit a full size pickup, it just depends on how much you want to pack around, and what you want to be able to pull with it on.

Also think about the height of your truck.. It aint fun jacking a camper WAY up to get it in the bed. My Dad had a gust of wind tip his over on it's side when throwing it on the old highboy years ago.

my truck sits as tall as ford and dodges with leveling kits. i belive i have a 4", but its on a chevy so that got me to clear metric 33's:clappy:

skinny_pedal said:
been searching craigslist and there are quite a bit of campers in my price range right now. my question here is does anyone know how big of a camper will fit in a 6.5' bed? im sure a 8' would fit fine, maybe 9.5'? not sure
I take it you have a shortbed. How big a camper really depends on what you want in a camper and if you are gonna put overloads or airbags on the back. I'd recommend a 12' camper for your application.:redneck: J/k...seriously I'd avoid anything longer than 8-8.5'. The balance of the load in your truck would be WAY off if you go with much of a camper. In fact, what is the GVWR of your truck?

Center of gravity is an issue. Make sure your not to tail heavy. If it is your front end can get light. I have a 9.5 S&S you can test fit if you like

briejer said:
Center of gravity is an issue. Make sure your not to tail heavy. If it is your front end can get light. I have a 9.5 S&S you can test fit if you like

id like to take you up on that offer robin. to get a base line

Plus the longer campers tend to have the showers and terlets in the back with the holding tanks, or maybe even the reefers farther back so that can add even more weight and leverage past the bumper.

On a SRW truck, I wouldn;t recommending having much stick out past the length of the tailgate in the down position.

Latest posts

Back