• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 300 for YJ

JEEPFREEK1

ok.. so I'm slightly car stupid in some ways.. like for instance...

I'm looking for a possible dana 300 for my YJ.. the only problem.. I have no real clue as to what year/vehicle I need to look for so that it fits with my ax-15 transmission.

I know 1980 scouts had them.. but I hear those are hard to find.

Should I look for an earlier jeep dana 300? if so, which years?

Any help would be appreciated.

sorry. did some net searching.. found out that '80-'86 CJ's had the Dana 300..

Has anyone had any experience doing a flip kit on a YJ or TJ on these? If you had to choose between a flipped Dana 300 w/ twin stick & teralow 4:1 and an Atlas II 4.3:1, which would you choose? Now advanced adapters has the atlas with a 6:1

I found the atlas for $2300 for the 6:1 and $2200 for the 4.3:1. About 700-800 cheaper than the d300 flipped.

but what are the real differences?

I read that with a d300, you can't shift on the fly.. not sure exactly why.. if it has to do with the vacuum disco, I have a cable-actuator for my d30.

What about the difference in low range gearing? I'm guessing not worth the extra 1K?

Any caveats to watch for in making this desicion would be great.. thanks.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the D300 with a flip kit isn't worth it when you can go with an atlas and have a case out of the box with lower gears, stronger outputs and driver's side drop. If you were going to leave the D300 unflipped and switch to a pass. drop axle, then it's worth considering IMO.

NotMatt said:
Personally, I think the D300 with a flip kit isn't worth it when you can go with an atlas and have a case out of the box with lower gears, stronger outputs and driver's side drop. If you were going to leave the D300 unflipped and switch to a pass. drop axle, then it's worth considering IMO.

I have too much into my d30 to really justify getting a passenger side drop, just for the sake of having a passenger side drop... the extra effort it would take to setup my gears in a new diffy and drill and tap the outer case (ARB locker up front). Just isn't worth it.. not to mention the money lost that I spent on my cable actuator (which I kind of like actually).

ok.. well, sounds like my original thought was correct..

and that is.. "don't buy what you think you can only afford.. it's much better to save for what you really want"

You can make a home made flip kit for about $40 in parts and a couple of hours work.

Or, you can get a hold of STaK4x4 which they'll be producing a D300 replace-a-case that will be a driver's side drop. All that you'll need to do is load in your D300 gears and shafts into the new case, and bolt it on. I think that case will be $600.00.

If he has a D30 in the front end, then I see no real reason for all the beef of an Atlas or a STak 2 or 3 spd case. IMHO.

Long&Low said:
You can make a home made flip kit for about $40 in parts and a couple of hours work.

Or, you can get a hold of STaK4x4 which they'll be producing a D300 replace-a-case that will be a driver's side drop. All that you'll need to do is load in your D300 gears and shafts into the new case, and bolt it on. I think that case will be $600.00.

If he has a D30 in the front end, then I see no real reason for all the beef of an Atlas or a STak 2 or 3 spd case. IMHO.

d30 front/ 8.8 in rear.. 4.56 gears.. 35" tires.. ARB's in both pumpkins.. not changing tire size for a long while.

think the 231 is up to the task? I rebuilt it with all new bearings and seals about a 2 years ago... been fine so far.. I'm not planning to get into rock crawl events.. it's always going to be a trail rig that can also be just as comfy on the street.. well as comfy as a trail jeep can be.

I did a lot of research recently on doublers for the 231, 300 vs an atlas. If I had the extra wheelbase I would seriously consider a doubler option with the 300 or 231. But I ultimately decided since I'm drivers drop already the money would be better spent on an atlas for the reasons NotMatt listed...If you watch pirate you might be able to find a used one already setup for a YJ.

Front digs and D30s dont mix

Cascade_Crawler said:
Front digs and D30s dont mix

?Digs? huh? sorry.. pardon my lack of slang.. but umm.. what exactly are you saying? that because I have a locker up front that an atlast would be the way to go?

sorry bout that.. feeling rather dumb about not knowing.. hehe

I'd love to find the atlas.. mainly because of the gear drive, the lower ratio (which I want anyway) and because it's one tough SOB.

but I'm not ready to shell out $2300 for one. At least not quite yet.

This was just mainly a curious question to what to shoot for in the future

JEEPFREEK said:
?Digs? huh? sorry.. pardon my lack of slang.. but umm.. what exactly are you saying? that because I have a locker up front that an atlast would be the way to go?

sorry bout that.. feeling rather dumb about not knowing.. hehe

I'd love to find the atlas.. mainly because of the gear drive, the lower ratio (which I want anyway) and because it's one tough SOB.

but I'm not ready to shell out $2300 for one. At least not quite yet.

This was just mainly a curious question to what to shoot for in the future

Its when a twin stick transfer case is put into front wheel drive only, and you use the front end only to maneuver around something, also known as a 'burn'. You can do front or rear digs/burns with the twin stick option.

Cascade_Crawler said:
Its when a twin stick transfer case is put into front wheel drive only, and you use the front end only to maneuver around something, also known as a 'burn'. You can do front or rear digs/burns with the twin stick option.

Ahh.. got it.. I'm not I'd be that aggressive with it even if I had a twin stick.. I'm mainly looking at the atlas because I want a 4:1 and the twin stick option is nice for 2wd low on those times where you use it..

of course, that would probably only due to mechanical necessity.. with a 4.0L 6, I don't have the power to twist driveshafts.. and I'm not sure the proper digging/burning technique to do that either.. lol

guess I just wanted a bulletproof 4:1 that I know will hold up to anything I throw at it.

It comes down to why do you really want the 4 to 1 low gearing?

If your doing lots of rock crawling, then sure, that's a good choice.

But if your trails, are a mix of dirt, hill climbs, and rock that are not loose, then the 2.7 gearing in the 231 should be fine.

Sure the best of the best would be a 3 or 4 speeed t-case. But do you have the room, and budget. Room = wheelbase.

I fit my doubler by extending my wheelbase 9" out back and 1" up front. But then again, I retained my rear seat, and made a custom fuel tank that,provides clearance for the rear axle.

Plus with the gearing multiplication on torque, you'd be surprised how fast you can start snap, crackling and popping axle shafts. Sure an auto, will take up some driveline slop, but I personally don't like autos off road, lots of folks do, it's just not my thing.

Last edited:
300 flip is pretty easy to build but with what you have and how you drive i think you'd be fine by staying with the 231. By the time you invest in a d300 and a 4 to 1 gearset if that's what you are looking for, you've almost payed for an atlas, so i would go with the atlas. Save your money and wait til the 231 starts giving you trouble.

JEEPFREEK said:
with a 4.0L 6, I don't have the power to twist driveshafts..
With 4:1 you sure as hell will.

JEEPFREEK said:
and I'm not sure the proper digging/burning technique to do that either.. lol
Once you have twin sticks, you will use it, and you will scoff at any options that don't allow front digs :;

CrustyJeep said:
With 4:1 you sure as hell will.

Once you have twin sticks, you will use it, and you will scoff at any options that don't allow front digs :;

sounds like as nice as an atlas is, I'd be opening up a can of worms and following the weak link to my front diff and changing that out.. and thus incurring more expense.. lol

perhaps I'll just stick with the 231 for now.. maybe if I find a 4:1 tera for the 231 cheap, I might do that option.

thanks fer the advice.

were did you get that a d300 would cost more then a atlas? i just got done building a 231 crawl box that goes to a d300 it didnt cost much at all. of course we made all the stuff. but a d300 you can get for $350 if you dont think so i still have 4 guys numbers that have them for that price. and to get a crawl box kit from d&d machine is $440 shipped and comes with the clocking ring to flip it to drivers drop. plus with that combo you dont end up being any longer then your tcase is now. meaning not have to stretch the wheel base. if your not ganna buy your stuff for a few months my buddy is getting into building these crawl boxes all put together you just have to bolt up. i read on pirate a guy say its gives you a crawl ratio of about 187:1 witch isnt that lower then 4:1 anyways? my .02

JEEPFREEK said:
sounds like as nice as an atlas is, I'd be opening up a can of worms and following the weak link to my front diff and changing that out.. and thus incurring more expense..
That 30 should be on the block anyhow.

If you don't drive like a drunken nascar driver, it should hold together OK. You might want to avoid full lock front burns on dry rock though :D

Latest posts

Back