• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

down pipe install?

FatMan1

well i have 4" exhaust kit on the way but i need a good idea on how to make room for the down pipe. there really no room for a hammer and i cant see getting a jack in there to push the firewall in. any thoughts? it's a 97 PSD. i hear the SD's are alot easier.....

Hmmm, when I did mine i used a Tymar 3-4 inch downpipe and it was tight. A 4 inch will require alot of massaging. You might look into it.

A friend did that on his brothers truck and used a HUGE pry bar.. but I know another guy with a modified older model PSD. I'll ask what he did.

pry bar was my first thought with a block of 2x4. the thing that gets me is Ford used a flat down pipe on the OBS PSD. PORTER do you have supper duty or OBS?

ive heard of guys sniping the pinch seam then folding it down and prying like mad....
im sure glad i got atleast 6" all the way round mine :)

FatMan said:
pry bar was my first thought with a block of 2x4. the thing that gets me is Ford used a flat down pipe on the OBS PSD. PORTER do you have supper duty or OBS?
Mine was a 97, and I dought I could have put a 4inch pipe in there without really fawking the firewall up. Good luck though, if the downpipe even barely rests on the firewall you will definately know it. Noisy as a MoFo.

PORTER said:
Mine was a 97, and I dought I could have put a 4inch pipe in there without really fawking the firewall up. Good luck though, if the downpipe even barely rests on the firewall you will definately know it. Noisy as a MoFo.

it can be done im sure that the firewall will hate me but damn it im going 4":redneck: im going for at least 1/2" clearance between the pipe and the firewall so i dont get vibrations.

82toyomud said:
porta power all the way!

thats what i need... thats the second time i heard that.... can i rent one? are they resonably priced or spendy? sort of like the jaws of life right?

thank's fellas

Go here http://nwforddiesel.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl for help

Now in regards to your exhaust. Like someone mentioned...you cut one of the body pinch seams and fold it over with a big pry bar and a 2x4 on the bellhousing/tranny.

No one sells a 4" downpipe for the OBS. It may bell to 4" halfway down though but it sure don't start out as 4". There is not anyway to make it fit without cutting the firewall or having a huge body lift.

Edit: btw, the stock downpipe is stainless and you can't remove it in one piece without removing the tranny. So you'd better stock up on some really good sawzall blades. Come on over to the darkside for more help (nwfd):devil2:

Last edited:
FatMan said:
got blades but the old exhaust dont look stainless... thank's for the link will do.
Roger that. Most of the exhaust is just aluminized. The downpipe itself is a pain to cut. Under that heat shielding is their version of stainless. Cut it off at the top and then again as far up from underneath as you can reach. Be careful of your tranny dipstick tube when cutting at the top.
l8er.

It's really easy to get the downpipe in once you get the old one out. I've installed 4 so far and I like to use a sissor jack out of a little japanese car between the transmission/engine block and firewall from underneath the truck. Just smash to fit and bolt in the new one. :D

FatMan said:
thats what i need... thats the second time i heard that.... can i rent one? are they resonably priced or spendy? sort of like the jaws of life right?

thank's fellas

Yeah, that's kinda what they are, and they make real quick work in expanding that area... You might check united rentals or something like that... they might have one laying around, or the little scissor jack sounds like a really good idea too, but would take alot more work over porta-power...

yeah i've been searching the net. i found one for 75 buck's but im worried about delivery time. im gonna call some of the rental places around here. if i cant find something reasonable i will use the scissor jack method. i got one of those laying around.

thank's again fellas :beer:

Latest posts

Back