• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front Detroit in the snow????

Symon623

Its a Hybrid
Always had an ARB in my 44 front, now I have a Detroit in the 60 front and love it but am nervous about whether it'll unlock on a downhill turn in the snow or compact s&i??

Anyone here with experience?

Feel free to post any locker related experienced that stained your drawers. :D

Thanks

Are you talking about driving on icy roads at higher speeds, or on slow speeds on the trail? It also depends on whether you're running an auto or 5-speed. 5-speed will make it worse, auto will be easier to handle.

I haven't had too much trouble with mine in the snow on the trail, but if you're on a snow-covered road trying to do 40mph or so, you might as well leave it in 2wd, especially with a 5-speed.

Symon623 said:
Always had an ARB in my 44 front, now I have a Detroit in the 60 front and love it but am nervous about whether it'll unlock on a downhill turn in the snow or compact s&i??

Thanks
slick snowy sidehills + lockers=looking over 100ft embankment and stained seat. And that was just with a rear locker. I either don't want to lock my front up until winter is over or go all out and ABR it.

NotMatt said:
Are you talking about driving on icy roads at higher speeds, or on slow speeds on the trail? It also depends on whether you're running an auto or 5-speed. 5-speed will make it worse, auto will be easier to handle.

I haven't had too much trouble with mine in the snow on the trail, but if you're on a snow-covered road trying to do 40mph or so, you might as well leave it in 2wd, especially with a 5-speed.

x2 i have a loc rite in the front and with it locked in 4wd im all over the road compared to 2wd, it works great at low speeds but try and go 30mph and its scary. I sort of have to disagree with the manual vs. auto being easier to control in the snow, yes it sometimes is easier with the auto (starting off) but when it comes to stopping and you have a shift kit install in your auto it makes it a little hairy when it down shifts.:haha:

Detroits and ICE are bad mmmk?

Seriously though, on road, I leave my Junk in 2wd. In the icy conditions things can get a bit hairy, but in snow it works great with front and rear detroits.

Trail use is just fine, they do great at slow speeds I've never had a problem trying to turn on ice or snow. Sometimes the rear tends to push the front on the ice, but a blip of the throttle and the front end will pull you where you want to go. This is kind of opposite from what you normally do. On the road, unless you are driving in 6 inces of snow or more, 2wd and less skinny pedal is your solution.

And just for fun, 4 wheel drive + detroits = crazy fun powerslides around city corners. Just keep your foot in it and you will be fine. If you do let off, your going to be doing some fancy ICE ballet in your rig. Pay no attention to all the folks honking and staring in amazement. They are just jealous. And if one of them yells at you, just give them a look like you have no idea what you are doing. This in turn will cause them to exclaim to thier passenger, "See, here in Washington they can't drive in this ****. That's why everything is closed in 2 inches of snow."

Or, if you are good and going across the flats on RT2 on the big frozen bridge. You wood it and it will kick the rear end out, then let off the gas all together and it will kick the rear end the other way. Then wood it again, letting off at about the 70 degree mark, which will whip the ass end around the other way. Continue until you get the feel for this and you can do 90 degree fishtails down the road. Practicing in parking lots is reccomended before trying said manuvers in traffic.

Thanks guys.

I was mainly talking about roads, specifically windy mountain roads at about or under 30 MPH. I know that snow and ice makes everything interesting, and a Detroit in the front is new to me, I was just wondering if it'll unlock and let you steer in the hubs are in and your in 2hi? I also remember running fully welded front and rear before the front ARB. Like driving a jet boat or jet ski......your not turnin without the throttle.

Grommit; your story reminds me of the Eldorado DD video olllllllo posted in the Evans creek trip for 1/1/07. Looked like fun :redneck:

Karl, for added entertainment, set your cruise control at ... oh ... say.. 60mph
then just go for a drive on cruise... defintily will keep you wake!

Dirtball said:
Karl, for added entertainment, set your cruise control at ... oh ... say.. 60mph
then just go for a drive on cruise... defintily will keep you wake!

My TJ came with a headlamp pullswitch, turn signal lever, a wiper lever and a knob for the Heat (which is broken anyway) Please show me where I can find this "cruise control" lever you speak of.

KarlVP said:
My TJ came with a headlamp pullswitch, turn signal lever, a wiper lever and a knob for the Heat (which is broken anyway) Please show me where I can find this "cruise control" lever you speak of.

Use twine or bailing wire. Press pedal 2/3rds to floor. Tie peddle to floor. Cruise control :cool:

KarlVP said:
And just for fun, 4 wheel drive + detroits = crazy fun powerslides around city corners. Just keep your foot in it and you will be fine. If you do let off, your going to be doing some fancy ICE ballet in your rig. Pay no attention to all the folks honking and staring in amazement. They are just jealous. And if one of them yells at you, just give them a look like you have no idea what you are doing. This in turn will cause them to exclaim to thier passenger, "See, here in Washington they can't drive in this ****. That's why everything is closed in 2 inches of snow."

Or, if you are good and going across the flats on RT2 on the big frozen bridge. You wood it and it will kick the rear end out, then let off the gas all together and it will kick the rear end the other way. Then wood it again, letting off at about the 70 degree mark, which will whip the ass end around the other way. Continue until you get the feel for this and you can do 90 degree fishtails down the road. Practicing in parking lots is reccomended before trying said manuvers in traffic.

This is the greatest piece of driving advice I have ever read. If everyone would follow this advice it wouldn't take 1.5 hours to go 15 miles when there is snow on the ground.:mad:

KarlVP said:
Detroits and ICE are bad mmmk?

Seriously though, on road, I leave my Junk in 2wd. In the icy conditions things can get a bit hairy, but in snow it works great with front and rear detroits.

Trail use is just fine, they do great at slow speeds I've never had a problem trying to turn on ice or snow. Sometimes the rear tends to push the front on the ice, but a blip of the throttle and the front end will pull you where you want to go. This is kind of opposite from what you normally do. On the road, unless you are driving in 6 inces of snow or more, 2wd and less skinny pedal is your solution.

:haha: What are you trying to do, write a novel!:D but seriously I practice in traffic, it makes for a better impression. :cool: Nice post!!!:D :D

KarlVP said:
And just for fun, 4 wheel drive + detroits = crazy fun powerslides around city corners. Just keep your foot in it and you will be fine. If you do let off, your going to be doing some fancy ICE ballet in your rig. Pay no attention to all the folks honking and staring in amazement. They are just jealous. And if one of them yells at you, just give them a look like you have no idea what you are doing. This in turn will cause them to exclaim to thier passenger, "See, here in Washington they can't drive in this ****. That's why everything is closed in 2 inches of snow.
Apparently that guy I was following on the west valley road earlier this evening had a detroit in his mercury sable. :haha: Maroon would get it loose and floor it, was all over the road. Did a NOICE power slide onto the woodinville/duvall road. :corn:

Symon623 said:

Thanks

my jeep is a '74 CJ5, i have no complaints w/my detroits front and rear w/4:88 gears and T18A 4 speed.

In all seriousness, I drove my rig home from work today on the very ICY roads with my detroits front and rear, it did fine. Ice, snow, whatever. Just be REAL easy on the skinny pedal and it works great.

It isn't the acceleration that is bad. It's when folks go "hey I'm sliding" and let off the gas. Then they get back on the gas to regain composure and from there on out, they are lost. With the locker, just stay with it. Not crazy wheelspin gas pedal, just a slow grind. If you let off, you will slide and then the shock of the detroits doing thier thing will cause the ice ballet deal I described earlier.

And it's okay 35 to 40 MPH too, just not on dry pavement. And get ready for the shock of your drivetrain as both differentials do thier thing on a "mildly" slick road surface.

Basically, it boils down to, if you know your rig, you will be fine. Don't go screaming down the road at 60 with your locked rig. Even in a car that is retarded. Take it slow, and know your limitations. Today, when I finally got on the Boeing Highway and was doing 30MPH in my Jeep watching folks pass me doing 60, they finally figured out why I was doing 30 all along. But thier realization came at the big corner coupled with a stoplight.

Last edited:
Thanks again....I remember driving with the front welded and teh effects of it, I was just curious as to the effect of the locker opening or not?

Question answered.....now lets hear/read some skid-stain stories? :redneck:

My best one was when I was on Otterslide/Pucker Ridge the first time when I was welded front and rear, we ran the trail in the "normal" direction and coming down one of the slides (Not the one that crossed the creek) I couldn't turn at the bottom and got all tangled up in some snags just off the trail had to screw around and get back on the trail but the ex wasn't likin doin all that at a 40°+ sidehill in a mess of masquitos.....

Samurai+welded rear+front EZ locker+icy roads=Little Red Tilt-A-Whirl. If I'm on icy pavement, its 2wd only, unless I need a little oomph to get started on a hill.

The F250 with the Detroit in back and Powr-Lok up front still is 99.823% 2wd on the ice as well, but it's long enough to be able to recover a slide. And I have to start out in 2nd or 3rd gear with the diesel.

It's like anything else on our rigs, smart head and patience, no problem.

Latest posts

Back