• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Getting rid of the turbo?

cheesemaker

What will it take to swap the 22rte out for a 22re? I don't want the turbo! I want to get it to the basics, that and how often are you running over 3000 rpm's? I need to know what is compatible and what isn't? I'm getting a FSM soon! It might help! The truck isn't running right now. I don't want to half-ass this motor swap! I am going to be using it for my DD, wood hauler, and trail rig! So, you can see why I want it done right! Any info would be greatly appreciated! I'm new to toyota's and efi! I've spendt most my wheeling and driving life so far with carb's!

So, please any info will be very helpful! Thank you!

the only change you will need to make is the exhut manafold
as a rule

your air intake is stillgoing to see the right air flow and will react to it

the turbo only increase the amount of air flow and the brain will then increase the amount of fuel need to run engine

The wiring harnesses are different in places. Crash knows more than I do about this since he dealt with the electrical part of the swap on Skinny Pedals truck.

its much easier to have an intake manifold and harness from the efi rig. you can still use your turbo trottlebody, afm, and computer. and i believe you have to move couple pins around behind the dash to have the gauages work correct

The compression ratio is lower on turbo motors. Removing the turbo will give you lower power than an equivalent 22RE.

Glenn said:
The compression ratio is lower on turbo motors. Removing the turbo will give you lower power than an equivalent 22RE.

x2. It's gonna be a dog without the turbo. Leave it on if it works right. Turbo's are :cool:

notstock said:
Guys, he said he wanted to swap in a 22re not keep the turbo engine.
Is that what he said? First he says he wants to swap the rte out, then he says he doesn't want the turbo, and goes on to say "back to basics."

Perhaps he could clarify....

What I want to do is get rid of the turbo motor and just go 22re. I'm lucky to put on 3,000 miles a year on my rigs! I live 2 miles to work, and the mountains I play in are less than that! I bought the truck knowing that it came with a r151 tranny and that the motor is tired! Body wise, it is in really good shape for the age and mileage of this rig! The frame still has the black paint on it, with very minimal surface rust on any of it! I love this body style, and I want to do this buildup right! Originally, I wanted to keep the turbo setup, until I started to see what motors and turbo rebuilds cost! Yeah, 143 hp sounds really good to me, but I really don't care about hp, 100 hp will be fine. This is going to be my DD, wood hauler and play truck! I just spendt the last 11 years driving a 85 nissan 4x4, that did everything I asked it to do and then some! But, I wanted a rig that has possibilities, potential and a long list of aftermarket stuff! Nissan, didn't have any of that, unless your got a shop full of metal working equipment. Yeah, my dream toy would be a extra cab with a 3rz in it! But that will be later down the road, maybe my next rig! This is the truck I will be learning about toyota's with! I appreciate and thank you all for your ideas and support on helping me with this project! I'm sorry if I got you guys confused, any help/ideas are greatfully appreciated! Hopefully this clarifies things!

Latest posts

Back