• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Longfields question

mad chemist

Hi folks,

I'm currently building up an fj40, and am debating on whether to go with the 4-piece Longfield set, or just getting the birfields. I'm not the type to really beat on a vehicle. For those with just the extra strength birfields and stock inners, how often do people start breaking inner axle shafts?

Thanks for the help.

i have the 30spline set. but once you get stronger brifs i could see the shafts breaking alot more i would just get the set then you wont have to worry about it.

It all depends on your driving style. I've got a friend with a fj40, built v8 and just the upgraded long outers. So far, knock on wood, he hasn't broke an inner but he's pretty easy on the skinny pedel. He has broke a rear stock shaft though.

Personally, I'd would just do the full set and not even worry about it. Instead of upgrading the outers and wondering if you're going to bust an inner

Thanks guys-it would make sense just to have the piece of mind. Its the extra money that's holding me back, maybe it'll be an extra christmas present to myself. Lets hope for a nice bonus...

mad chemist said:
Thanks guys-it would make sense just to have the piece of mind. Its the extra money that's holding me back, maybe it'll be an extra christmas present to myself. Lets hope for a nice bonus...

"Extra" money? What's that?:haha:

cisco said:
What size tires? Locker? If you are running 33s with open diff, I wouldn't wory about it.

Exactly. Driving style and drivetrain have a lot to do with it as well. If you're running a stock drivetrain and anything less than 36" tires, I wouldn't bother upgrading the inners. If you're running a V8, granny tranny, and a locker, then the whole kit would be money well-spent.

Ahh, my bad for not giving you more info- Chevy v8, th350 auto, stock toy transfer case, with plans to run 35" tires, no bigger. Initially I will just lock the rear and keep the front open.

mad chemist said:
Ahh, my bad for not giving you more info- Chevy v8, th350 auto, stock toy transfer case, with plans to run 35" tires, no bigger. Initially I will just lock the rear and keep the front open.

If it were mine, I'd just run the upgraded birfs and make sure you're using Aisin hub lockouts. Even if you break an inner axle once in a while, they're dirt cheap - but I'd bet that you're going to break other things first.

Also, get (buy or build) a transfer case saver. It's cheap insurance against catastrophic failure.

Yup, got the TC saver on there.

Just an update, said screw it and got the 4-piece set (merry christmas to me!). Nice heavy package showed up on the front steps today...

mad chemist said:
Yup, got the TC saver on there.

Just an update, said screw it and got the 4-piece set (merry christmas to me!). Nice heavy package showed up on the front steps today...

Good call. Peace of mind on the trail is priceless.

64FJ40 said:
If it were mine, I'd just run the upgraded birfs and make sure you're using Aisin hub lockouts. Even if you break an inner axle once in a while, they're dirt cheap - but I'd bet that you're going to break other things first.

Also, get (buy or build) a transfer case saver. It's cheap insurance against catastrophic failure.

The trouble is when you break a inner shaft some times the shock load kills the locker or breaks the teeth on the ring & pinion. Thats why we made the inner shaft 30 spline were it goes in the birf instead of the stock 27 spline.

as long as ur runnin just 35's and a stock tcase u should be fine with the 30's, go big on the tires and or add a doubler and a heavy foot u will need to step up to a bigger axle. :D

no excuses said:
as long as ur runnin just 35's and a stock tcase u should be fine with the 30's, go big on the tires and or add a doubler and a heavy foot u will need to step up to a bigger axle. :D

They hold up fine to my 39.5s. Also seen um holding up to 42's at the hammers both trucks with dual cases and 4.7's.......so whats a big tire?:flipoff:

I know of many trucks running the 30splines with 39s and 42s, and havent heard of a problem.

Yeah I'm going for the 30 spline bobby longs!! After the 4th case hardened birff to break I'm done f ing with these messy things! I hear they should hold up fine to the v8, 38.5, locked front and rear and dual cases???? My yota should like it's new upgrades!!! :D

Yeah, I was a bit bummed- a week after I bought the 27-spline set, the 30-spline was put on sale for another ~30 bucks than what I paid for the 27.

Bad timing on my part I guess...:booo:

Latest posts

Back