• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

MC/Booster Help

Nuzzy

Need to start addressing the brakes on my jeep. Will be 60/14 disc/drum to start but will shortly change to rear disc as well. After much research on Pirate, I'm thinking my best option is a '69 Vette power brakes MC for bolt up ease. Plus it was designed for 4 wheel disc. Everyone seemed to be saying it should cost $30. So I stop by Napa today to check prices/availablity out...

So here's my questions:

A) My stock CJ vacuum booster needs to be replaced cause it leaks. Should I just replace it assuming it's sufficient or should I take the opportunity to upgrade to a newer style Hydrobooster? Or would that be more work than it's worth? Napa quoted $104 for a replacement vacuum booster.

B) If I stick with the vacuum booster, the 69 vette mc should bolt right up. If I went with a newer hydrobooster, I would prob then just go to a Grand Marque (i think that's what it was) mc. Now here's the thing... Napa quoted $75 for the vette mc which seemed really high based on the research I did...

Anyone have thoughts...??

Will a mid 70's Chevy pickup booster bolt in? That would get my vote. You get a nice selection of cheap and readily available master cylinders to match. I would get a booster from a 3/4 ton, and a master from a 1/2 ton to start, then upgrade the master to 3/4 or 1 ton with the rear disks. Any parts store that doesn't keep those master cylinders in stock is useless.

CrustyJeep said:
Will a mid 70's Chevy pickup booster bolt in?

Not sure. Guess I'd have to see how it bolds up and the pedal assembly. If it's a pain to make work, I don't want to worry about at this point cause god knows I need something else making the build take longer. But I'm totally game for any basically bolt in part...

What about newer jeep model hydroboosters? Seems they might be a closer fit wouldn't they?

Well at any rate, I'm fairly certain the mid 70's Chev truck MC's will bolt to your factory booster. They bolt to my factory '76 booster anyway, and work well.

CrustyJeep said:
Well at any rate, I'm fairly certain the mid 70's Chev truck MC's will bolt to your factory booster. They bolt to my factory '76 booster anyway, and work well.

And your factory booster is vacuum, right? Not hydro...?

Dont forget about about the rear discs with the 70's truck mc. Secondly the hydroboost may fawk with yer hydro steering, I dont know the full implications so im just saying it out loud. Did you ever get a remote reservoir?

Nuzzy said:
And your factory booster is vacuum, right? Not hydro...?
Right.

I know very little about hydro, but I have driven 1 ton trucks with it, and I seem to remember it sucks even worse than vacuum when the engine dies, so that might be a consideration.

Bunk said:
Did you ever get a remote reservoir?

Not yet. Gonna run a few shakedowns without to see how it does. Will DEFINITELY buy later on but will put off for the time being if possible.

CrustyJeep said:
Meaning what? Works great on ours :D

Does your MC have residual valves that you had to change to run discs in the rear? I read that rear drums use a 10psi residual valve and that discs needed 2psi to run properly without dragging... Also, what did you do for a proportioning valve?

Nuzzy said:
Does your MC have residual valves that you had to change to run discs in the rear? I read that rear drums use a 10psi residual valve and that discs needed 2psi to run properly without dragging... Also, what did you do for a proportioning valve?
I'm pretty sure there's no residual valve in the MC. That's one of the functions of a combo valve.

Bunk said:
Ever try to lock up all 4 tires during yer rigs 2 Month period of wheeling with that master???:flipoff:
It wont lock the fronts on dry pavement. I need more boostage, and I could probably use a smaller M/C. I'm running a 1-1/4" MC off a 3/4 ton. The 1/2 tons ran a 1-1/8", same as the corvette MC everybody loves.

But, the pedal feels great and the brakes have never come up lacking on the trail.

Latest posts

Back