• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

np 205

79chevy39.5's

on a np205 there are the 2 shifter parts that stick out the end. are they set up ones high low nuetral and the other 2wd 4wd? or are they set up differently?

It has to do with the factory built design that (I believe) prevents the possibility of going into low range in front, high range in the rear. Since twin sticking leaves that up to you too decide, the modified shift rails allow any combination.

It might actually have to do with 2wd vrs. 4wd, but memory is not serving me correctly.

Check over at www.offroaddesign.com, they have lots of info. :stirpot:

shortandlongrails.JPG

Last edited:
you have to grind them to allow independant shifting of the front and rear outputs....
when ground correctly though, you still keep the interlocks that prevent front-low/rear-high type scenerios...

there's several pictures out there of how to grind, and actually the one that one of the 4x4 rags published is one of the best pictures I've seen. We keep a spare shift rail around that is ground for all the ones we do. basically, sneek up on it, install it, work the shifters, take it back apart, and go a little further until everything works smoothly...

--B

It's 7/16". The 205 shift rail moves exactly 7/16" for each click when you shift it. That's how long the groove needs to be lengthened assuming you just want a standard twin stick conversion. If you grind more you could get one axle in high while the other is in low. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Latest posts

Back