• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

*pics*first wheelin trip with new suspension/tires

jjduedall

well went wheelin today out at the powerline outside of eddieville if anyone knows where thats at. the tires hooked up pretty well in the mucky stuff. for the body damage.. added a couple dents and bent some exhaust up.. nothing to bad.:D .. the suspension worked pretty good. the front has the torsion bars un-torqed to get some more flex with some spacers to level it out. im surprised how well it flexed for an ifs rig.. the rear is hitting the stops because i raised them to keep the tires from bending the fenders till i can cut them.

the front has the torsion bars un-torqed to get some more flex with some spacers to level it out.
Huh? The torsion bars push the wheels down away from the chassis when torqued, so with them untorqued all you're doing is lowering the truck and making it so the suspension isnt working right. Up travel is limited by the stock bump stops, downtravel is limited by the geometry of the suspension.

Im not following how untorqing the rods would give you any more travel since my girlfriends 4Runner will bottom out on the bump stops when off road now with them set right...

If you untorque them, you have no spring resistance, is that what youre talking about? It would take less weight on a given wheel to compress the suspension with no toque on the rods, but youre not going to get "more travel" out of it that way IMO since you can bottom out the stock suspension pretty easy anyway. All you're doing is making it easier to bottom it out, not increasing any range of travel per say. At least thats the way I see it.

~T.J.

Last edited:
yes your right about hitting the stops. the front only has the bumpstops moved down 2 inches. to make it where it was stock would take 4 inches. the BJ spacers supposibly give it more "compression" travel. when i had the torsion bars stock i could not get it to hit the stops the way the are now. when i un torqued them and added bj spacers i can now easily hit the stop. now instead of the lower arm stopping at about parellel with the truck it goes quite a bit negative.. ill have a pic up in a minute.

and stock the downtravel is not limited by the geometry of the suspension. you can trim the upper bumpstops and get quite a bit more droop:corn:

oh and btw im not a migit. that happens to be my girlfriend scraping mud off the rear view mirror so she could do her makeup:cheer:

Last edited:
and for the last picture.

and btw 84Toyota4x4 im not trying to argue with you or anything. your probley completely right and i just need to pull my head out but i was just stating what i thought and from the way the suspension worked before until now it just seems to have alot more compression travel. it could very well be my imagination though

Last edited:
Hey man, no biggie. I actually talked to someone online about it, and we went back and forth about it. We didn't come up with anything. I was more trying to ask you how it worked and what your logic was than trying to tell you that you were wrong.

I kept thinking along the lines of the fact the stock suspension bottoms out easily on compression, that by untourqing the rods, you're in essence changing the spring rate, which would only cause it to flex the same amount, just easier. Now then, if your stock suspension WOULDN'T bottom out, then untorquing the rods would give you more travel since then they might then bottom out. However, I just couldnt see it happening since the stock suspension is so easy to bottom out.

However, with the way things are setup on your truck such as spacing of stops and spacers and so on, its obviously possible that the IFS system may have been given the capability to flex more, and was in fact limited then by the tension on the rods, and by getting rid of that, you were able to get it to flex some more.

It is very possible that you are right and I'm wrong. It doesn't really actually matter anyway, since this thread is about the new suspension setup and tires!

Good job getting it out and wheeling it too and not sitting around at home all the time like me, haha. Looks like the girl had fun. Mine was like that too, but then she ended up getting her own rig, so now I have two I have to work on, haha

Are you local? You wheel at Reiter at all? If so maybe I'll see you out there sometime?

~T.J.

Last edited:
this little talk got me thinking. so i decided to go put the 4 inch bump stop extensions that came with the lift on and i went out and flexed it out on the side of the trailer haha.. sooo it hits the extended bump stops that came with the kit real quick and theres barely any compression travel. i then took the off and put the 2 1/2 inch bump stop spacers that i made, it hits these also. so from what i can see is that it has a little more compression travel then it did stock, and also a little more droop because of the cut down upper B/S. and yes the girl did have very much fun and even got behind the wheel herself.:D .. she wants her own now so tommarow were going to look at a 91 on 33's. im from corvallis, oregon.. i dont know if thats local to you but im sure we could work something out. im only 16 and just started my first job and i go to school.. but im free wed., and thurs so we should definitly get together and go wheelin somewhere.:hi:

this little talk got me thinking. so i decided to go put the 4 inch bump stop extensions that came with the lift on and i went out and flexed it out on the side of the trailer haha.. sooo it hits the extended bump stops that came with the kit real quick and theres barely any compression travel. i then took the off and put the 2 1/2 inch bump stop spacers that i made, it hits these also. so from what i can see is that it has a little more compression travel then it did stock, and also a little more droop because of the cut down upper B/S. and yes the girl did have very much fun and even got behind the wheel herself.:D .. she wants her own now so tommarow were going to look at a 91 on 33's. im from corvallis, oregon.. i dont know if thats local to you but im sure we could work something out. im only 16 and just started my first job and i go to school.. but im free wed., and thurs so we should definitly get together and go wheelin somewhere.:hi:

this little talk got me thinking. so i decided to go put the 4 inch bump stop extensions that came with the lift on and i went out and flexed it out on the side of the trailer haha.. sooo it hits the extended bump stops that came with the kit real quick and theres barely any compression travel. i then took them off and put the 2 1/2 inch bump stop spacers that i made, it hits these also. so from what i can see is that it has a little more compression travel then it did stock, and also a little more droop because of the cut down upper B/S. and yes the girl did have very much fun and even got behind the wheel herself.:D .. she wants her own now so tommarow were going to look at a 91 on 33's. im from corvallis, oregon.. i dont know if thats local to you but im sure we could work something out. im only 16 and just started my first job and i go to school.. but im free wed., and thurs so we should definitly get together and go wheelin somewhere.:hi:

Wow, looks like Im not the only one the forum was having problems with, haha.

Actually, Im in Washington, so a little far to meet up, but maybe sometime!

~T.J.

Ya i got the BJ spacers on my rig as well. THe torsion bars stock would stop short of the bumpstops due to the increased travel. Mine are dropped as well, makes the ride a bit nicer, keeps my COG low and a tad more uptravel. Tell me if you mess up a CV on that thing, im going to move up to 34-35" tires soon.

Alpine4x4 said:
Ya i got the BJ spacers on my rig as well. THe torsion bars stock would stop short of the bumpstops due to the increased travel. Mine are dropped as well, makes the ride a bit nicer, keeps my COG low and a tad more uptravel. Tell me if you mess up a CV on that thing, im going to move up to 34-35" tires soon.
what size of tires you running now???

yodaboy4life said:
what size of tires you running now???

was 33x10.5 swamper TSL's but now i got 31" BFG AT's for winter. I test drove some 35" BFG MT's in the rear to see if i needed a re-gear for em since in 4.56. 100 rpm defference dont upset me so 34-35" next. Prolly Trxus Mt's. Ill be adding some lift as well, prolly 2" body and some trimming, since those 35's fit with a lil rub after some trimming in the rear.

Alpine4x4 said:
was 33x10.5 swamper TSL's but now i got 31" BFG AT's for winter. I test drove some 35" BFG MT's in the rear to see if i needed a re-gear for em since in 4.56. 100 rpm defference dont upset me so 34-35" next. Prolly Trxus Mt's. Ill be adding some lift as well, prolly 2" body and some trimming, since those 35's fit with a lil rub after some trimming in the rear.
got ya what kinda milage do you get?? with the 31s what is all done to your truck cuz im trying to figer out why im gettin like 12 mpg with 31s

Latest posts

Back