• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

propane conversion 22r?? is it worth it?

rooinater

was poking around and researching the whole propane conversion. i was wondering if anyone has run it and what people thought of it, and the pros and cons, other than you can't just go to the gas station.

thanks

I did a pane conversion with a buddy to his Toy. It started right up with no need fo tuning and has ran flawless for a few years. Well worth it

johnboy said:
how much is the kit running for? is it legal for drivin on the street around here?

Legal yes. You can even apply for reduced emissions discounts cause it burns way cleaner. You can piece together kits or do what I'm gonna and buy a basically complete kit from the Propane Guy for $450 or so.

it's $895 from gotpropane.com so it has plenty of power for a 22r and runs great? if i am to get it, should i get a second tank mount also? how do you know when you're getting close to empty?

Last edited:
rooinater said:
it's $895 from gotpropane.com so it has plenty of power for a 22r and runs great? if i am to get it, should i get a second tank mount also? how do you know when you're getting close to empty?

I will run 2 10 gal tanks. Either drive til you run out and then switch, or get those snazy new clear propane tanks they just started making :cool:

I'd be kind of interested on this too...what kind of mileage do these kits get? And how reliable are the kits/conversions?

Work with gas? What do you mean?

Propane conversions convert a gasoline motor to run on propane...

Doesn't do anything to sensors, it burns cleaner than gas, and everything the sensors see after the combustion is basically the same as if it was running on gas, only cleaner. If you even still have any sensors after the swap. At least thats how I understand it.

~T.J.

Last edited:
Ranger James said:
i hate to ask some dumb questions but does this work with gas? and what does it do to scensors?
Propane is the only gas in your vehicle, your engine runs on propane with the conversion. If by sensors you mean EFI sensors, they wouldn't be there, as this is run in place of your current induction (carb/efi).

ill have to check that out! only bad thing is u HAVE to build a roll cage for ur tank, i hate to have a full propane bottle go off on me

milage diff worth the money? i drive about 45min each way in my truck to and from work

Ranger James said:
ill have to check that out! only bad thing is u HAVE to build a roll cage for ur tank, i hate to have a full propane bottle go off on me

milage diff worth the money? i drive about 45min each way in my truck to and from work

Mileage should be same if not better when properly tuned. And propane tanks are actually much safer than gas tanks :cool:

the propane hysters i drive at work have low fuel lights on the dash, so im sure you could find some way to get one for your truck. i think they just work by sensing lower pressure in the system when the tank is getting low?

4x4Rob said:
the propane hysters i drive at work have low fuel lights on the dash, so im sure you could find some way to get one for your truck. i think they just work by sensing lower pressure in the system when the tank is getting low?

in that case just ste...i mean buy a low pressure sensor for a hyster or other forklift.

I was at the PNW Jeep Jambo one year and a guy with a pro powered CJ7 ran out of gaz.... Of course nobody could help him so he left his truck on the trail and had to go get propane and come back to it two days later..... Turbo (diesel) bummer.....

Latest posts

Back