• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Recomendations for SBC headers.

TreeClimber

Need a recomendation for small block chevy headers for a TJ build with long arms. Want quality built.

Hoping to hear from some of the buggy builders what they use on their rigs.

Currently have factory manifolds, but am concerned that the drivers side will hit the long arms as they flex up.

Thank you in advance.

Tony

not SBC but SBF with blockhugger headers in a SMALL buggie.I'll post a pic here in a little bit but basically I cut the collector off at the end of the main tubes.Then i took a 90*/3" exhaust tube(with a tight bend radius) and formed the one end to fit nicley with the cut off collector/tubes and welded a collector flange on the other end. So instead of dumping straight down,along the block....it points straight back along the block and allows the link bar to come WAY up along side the motor.I feel I picked a little more CFM in flow as it is alot less restrictive than it was as purchased....even with the bend.Also in there is the O2 bung.

hooker 2466, is a shorty header,have seen them on jeeps with small blocks,have a set on my blazer. they are made for a mid 60s chevelle,but fit alot of other stuff.

The collector on the drivers side(near) is 3",the crossover runs tight behind the heads is 2.5".The exhaust is 3" all the through to a 3" supertrapp out the back....flows like a mofo.
January202009529.jpg

The collector on the drivers side(near) is 3",the crossover runs tight behind the heads is 2.5".The exhaust is 3" all the through to a 3" supertrapp out the back....flows like a mofo.
January202009529.jpg

If he's running a SBC, wouldn't that crossover get in the way of the dist???

No....but it might melt it:haha:

Not promoting the X-over.....just the 90* turn of the D-side header.Tony's a smart guy...he doesn't really need our help.

To clarify my original post, would you recommend
Headman, Hooker, or some other brand. I want a flange that's thick enough to not have exhaust leaks every other month without having to go with exotic locking bolts to secure them.

Hopefully, I can make these manifolds work, but time is running short on my agenda and I've got to get exhaust on it NOW.

My headers are the summit house brand with the "regular" .25" flange.

I have NO leaks at the heads and only a small one at the pass side collector where I missed a small section of weld INSIDE the collector when I welded it all back together.The headers came with a thick,high temp "paper" gasket.....I was kinda dubious of the "cheap" looking gaskets but ran them anyway......ended up sealing like a champ.I retightend the header bolts after the first few runs and have never had a prob with the bolts coming loose.....lucky I guess.

Don't know about the high end headers.......too bling for me

Rams horns....Cheap, easy, flow better than most headers and will have better clearance too.

X2..I've tried Hooker, and Hedman, and both leaked after a short time, plus with the Ram horns you won't have the heat issues that come with headers.

Quick note on not wanting to use 'exotic fasteners' for your headers.
I don't know why they don't package these with the headers when you buy them, kind of a little known secret.

Mr Gasket # 3416, header bolt lock washers:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=mrg-3416

I used them on a SBC I put together in 1999...they still don't leak.
(Hooker headers with the supplied gaskets)

Back