• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tail Gate

Brochoulbjerg

I hope this is in the right section.

I want to put one of those cool/dorky (depending on your opinion) CJ tailgates that says jeep on it on my TJ. Anybody else done this? Are they the right size, I tried looking it up but I don't happen to have a CJ in my backyard to measure the tail gate. Or maybe someone could take the numbers off the CJ they have in their backyard?

Why do you want it?

For the flip down "truck" style? Or just to say Jeep on it?

If you want the truck style, I'm not sure, but if you just want it to say Jeep on it, you could just cut out a section of your existing one, and weld in an old one. That would be kinda neat, actually.

just want the standard swing to the side one. I saw a CJ yesterday that had one and it looked pretty cool, so i thought "hey, I want to be cool too". I'm kinda trying to make my TJ look a little bit like a CJ. If i was smarter I would have bought a CJ and put TJ suspension on it.

Dear Brochoulbjerg;
If you have been REALLY smart you would have bought a CJ and left the suspension system alone!!! I swear, some peoples' kids....
Your losing my patience with you friend;
LAMAR

Dear Lamar;
I miss you buddy, The King Of Leaf Springs. I think I already stated that I should have bought a CJ, so atleast I'm halfways smarter now. Too bad i'm way too far upside down in this damn TJ to trade up.
Your wishing he lived in California Friend;
Broc

Brochoulbjerg said:
Dear Lamar;
I miss you buddy, The King Of Leaf Springs. I think I already stated that I should have bought a CJ, so atleast I'm halfways smarter now. Too bad i'm way too far upside down in this damn TJ to trade up.
Your wishing he lived in California Friend;
Broc

here you go.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/229818744.html

although I think it's foolish to trade for a CJ

Dear group;

"although I think it's foolish to trade for a CJ"

I am a firm believer that everybody has the right to their respective opinions, even though they may happen to be grossly misinformed and ignorant. For example, if todays' 4X4 owners refused to purchase the newest and cheapest built POS from Jeep,the manufacturer would be left with no choice but to once again , start producing well built, solidly constructed, excellent Jeeps such as the CJ. The factory, however relies heavily on the fact that most Jeep owners are ignorant of quality products and they are therefore inclined to purchase any old plastic and tin can built Jeep that the factory can figure out how to manufacture for less than $92.75, including paint and tires. These are the facts and they cannot be disputed.
Your always speaking the truth friend;
LAMAR

Lamar said:
Dear group;

"although I think it's foolish to trade for a CJ"

I am a firm believer that everybody has the right to their respective opinions, even though they may happen to be grossly misinformed and ignorant. For example, if todays' 4X4 owners refused to purchase the newest and cheapest built POS from Jeep,the manufacturer would be left with no choice but to once again , start producing well built, solidly constructed, excellent Jeeps such as the CJ. The factory, however relies heavily on the fact that most Jeep owners are ignorant of quality products and they are therefore inclined to purchase any old plastic and tin can built Jeep that the factory can figure out how to manufacture for less than $92.75, including paint and tires. These are the facts and they cannot be disputed.
Your always speaking the truth friend;
LAMAR

hijack

Let's see. The last year of production of the CJ was 1986. That's 20 years ago. During that time this vehicle is subject to wear and tear and rust and abuse. Hmmmm.

Secondly, CJ frames were NOT boxed until 1976/77 era, and then they were simply two pieces of C-channel butted up together and welded. All early CJs are simple, lightweight, prone to breaking C-channel. ALL YJs and TJs are true boxed frame. And a solid foundation always is a better start to build anything.

Thirdly, I understand you are an advocate of the leaf spring. So am I. I owned a CJ for twenty years. I own a YJ now. And I'm also building a TJ. But it can easily be argued that a Coil spring settup is a better settup (not going to do that here, it would be a better tech area arguement, and I'm not the one to do it as I am not well versed enough). I understand that a coil spring can fail easier and be more difficult to repair. But spring failure isn't that common in OUR real world.

Dear roccrawler;
My age? That really IS a curious question, my friend. Do you want to ask me out on a date? In case you do, I have a few ground rules.
1. I never EVER get into a rig that is equipped with c**lsprings or FI. Nothing personal about this, I just don't like walking home.
2. I never kiss on the 1st date. No exceptions.
3. My idea of a great time is NOT going to a gay parade or sex shows, no matter how cool you think it may be.
4. Do not expect me to pay for gas, or even a portion thereof.
5. Expect to recieve various lectures on the evils of c**lsprings, fuel injection, computerized engine controls and radios throughout the day. Taking notes is not mandatory, however it is highly recommended.

Your friend;
LAMAR

Lamar said:
Dear roccrawler;
My age? That really IS a curious question, my friend. Do you want to ask me out on a date? In case you do, I have a few ground rules.
1. I never EVER get into a rig that is equipped with c**lsprings or FI. Nothing personal about this, I just don't like walking home.
3. My idea of a great time is NOT going to a gay parade or sex shows, no matter how cool you think it may be.
5. Expect to recieve various lectures on the evils of c**lsprings, fuel injection, computerized engine controls and radios throughout the day. Taking notes is not mandatory, however it is highly recommended.

Your friend;
LAMAR

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Lamar said:
Dear roccrawler;

Your friend;
LAMAR

Ya know, Ive kinda noticed with the rain and crappy weather rolling in here(the PNW) that alot of people have turned into azzholes. But it must be torrential downpours and landslides and acts of god in yer neck of the woods. First the coilover comment and now a FI comment...Man, im suprised how much you have changed this week.

Your Online friend;
Bunk

Dear group;
Yeah, the wet season has already kicked off here in Bolivia, so instead of being hot and dusty, now it's going to be hot and muddy for about the next 6 months. I've already installed new winch cables on everything I own in preparation for the upcoming winch fests. When things start getting REALLY muddy I don't even bother re-spooling the cable after I use the winch. I just coil the cable up, tie it off a couple of times with some parachute cord and stick the whole mess behind the winch itself. I live in a country that has about the same landmass as my home state of Texas and California combined, with a total of 15,000 miles in roads, of which an estimated 1,500 miles are paved. The rest is dirt. In order to remain mobile in Bolivia, a person needs a good 4X4 and infinite amounts of patience. An estimated 2 out of 3 vehicles in Bolivia are 4X4s. My idea of a luxury car is an M-B Gelander or a LandRover Def 90. Kinda sad when you think about it for a while I suppose.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Dear CrustyJeep;
When I lived in the States, my dream ride was a Porsche Turbo Carrera. Wow, those were the days! I can still recall 4 lane highways, overpasses and rest areas. I still miss the US interstate system most of all. And Pizza Hut. And Sonic drive-ins. And Taco Bell. And Church's fried chicken. And Popeyes! 4 wheeling takes on a much different aspect when it's a part of your everyday life instead of a hobby or a pleasurable diversion. My company rigs are all Toyota FJ-70s and all 3 of my POVs are 4X4s. 4 wheeling takes on an entirely outlook when you have to cut 75 miles of road in order to get to where you wish to go. Then once you're finished and you want to come out 3 months later, you have to re-cut the same 75 miles because the jungle has already grown up. Shoot, it grows so fast that sometimes I think it grows right behind the rear bumper of the last rig in the caravan. It just becomes work, the same drudgery day in and day out, my friend. Life becomes reduced to picks, shovels, chain saws and sledge hammers. I've seen what modern technology has to offer to 4 wheeling in remote environments, my friend. Ever try troubleshooting and then repairing a faulty FI system when you are 500 miles from nowhere? I have and I can state with no small amount of uncertainity that I'd MUCH rather pull the carb, clean it out, re-assemble that bad boy, stab it on and continue going forward. It's a simple solution to a simple problem. The same can be said for c**lsprings. They are weak and not very dependable when a rig traverses very rough terrain day in and day out. A good set of c**lsprings might last 2 years in Bolivia if a person really pampers them, but then again, who pampers their rigs here? I dunno, I guess that you just have to live it and experience it in order to understand where I am coming from. That pavement I mentioned earlier is not EXACTLY smooth. Thy use these octagon shaped pieces of concrete and that's what they pave the streets with. It's very rough stuff and slicker than snot on a doorknob when wet. I used to be a disciple of modern technology until I came to the realization that modern tech wasn't introduced for OUR benefit, rather it was introduced for the benefit of the manufacturer.
Your friend;
LAMAR

I sort of understand Lamar.

Then again, most of us here are forced to traverse those fancy 4 lane highways your rosy colored glasses are helping you to remember so fondly, and they lose their luster real quick too. Point is, ANYTHING you are forced to do day in and day out will get old.

Tell you what, I'll trade places with you for a year :D

Latest posts

Back