• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

toyota driveline bolts

tmill

i need to get some new bolts for this weekend. my buddy gave me some grade 8 hardware that keeps coming loose. mostly because i have taken them off too many times. I just wanted to swap them all to new hardware but dont know what to grab. can anybody give me a hand my truck is at my buddies shop so i cant just grab some and go to tacoma screw.
i just need to know what size bolt to grab

thanks in advance for the help

Go to a wrecking yard and get REAL TOYOTA Dline bolts.

Bolts form the hardware store will always fail/come loose.

Stock toyota bolts are VERY fine thread and can be cranked down very tight without damage. They also have a shoulder for the flange and shaft ears to touch instead of resting on the bolts threads.

Get the real deal or repeat the results you have already got.

On my rear driveline, I ended up using aftermarket bolts,locks and nuts 10mmx1.25 (same as the factory toyota pitch) and haven't had an issue...

On my rear driveline, I ended up using aftermarket bolts,locks and nuts 10mmx1.25 (same as the factory toyota pitch) and haven't had an issue...

I would change them before they make threads in you flanges holes.

I know the hardware store bolts are not the same thread pitch. A 14MM manifold nut will not fit on a 14 mm driveshaft bolt. The dshaft bolt is a finer thread than the other chassis bolts.

Hi All:

I know on the drive shafts of my FJ40 Land Cruiser the bolts are definitely not run of the mill hardware store stuff!

I tried hardware store replacements and the heads of the bolts were too big to clear the yokes. I bought some OE replacement fasteners and they fit like they should.

No doubt the OE Toyota bolts are expensive, but are the correct parts for the application.

Regards,

Alan

I would change them before they make threads in you flanges holes.

I know the hardware store bolts are not the same thread pitch. A 14MM manifold nut will not fit on a 14 mm driveshaft bolt. The dshaft bolt is a finer thread than the other chassis bolts.

Well, and I have had the driveline off a time or two (or three!:redneck:)...no threads being made in the flanges:awesomework:...Now, a bit of info I didn't elaborate on... the bolts I used are automotive application, which have the 14mm heads, and 14mm nut....
People that are using 3/8" Gr 8, that is NOT the correct size for the hole, which would explain the issue with threads being made...:;

Well, and I have had the driveline off a time or two (or three!:redneck:)...no threads being made in the flanges:awesomework:...Now, a bit of info I didn't elaborate on... the bolts I used are automotive application, which have the 14mm heads, and 14mm nut....
People that are using 3/8" Gr 8, that is NOT the correct size for the hole, which would explain the issue with threads being made...:;

You probably have the proper length shoulder on the bolt though!?

Most people put in the 3/8 hardware, witch is the wrong size, and then the bolt has threads in the flanges. The point that I am saying is the easiest is to run the OE toyota bolts. You can run standard automotive grade bolts but need to make sure there is no thread in the companion flanges. The problem with this is you most likely will have to cut down the bolt more than an inch.

Tacoma Screw doesn't like it when I come in and give bolt lengths in the form of what shoulder I want the bolt to have.

Thought I would share some of the tech:fawkdancesmiley:

It not the size that matters here its the shoulder length on the bolt thats important. The only way to achieve this with store bought bolts is to buy too long of ones with a shoulder and then cut them down.

Correct...And yes, the easiest way to assure proper fastening is to use factory hardware on the DL....but some folks just don't for whatever reason...and problems can and do arise!!!

Back