• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Will it hold???

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
ok so i plan on an exo and tying some of it into the cab (kinda like a truggy but not.... anyways i made (4) 5"sq. pads (w/ 4 holes for bolts in each pad) to sandwich the floor of the cab to the frame. will this rip apart the body/floor??? it'll be pad/rubber/floor/rubber/pad. Should i be bracing more or will it be ok? any advice as to whether or not this is a good idea or not. mind you i still have to attach two more points up front on the front core support. I'm more or less trying to find a way to integrate cage/body into one.

IF it is metal on metal, than yes. But I would reccomend welding the plates to the floor.

If there is any seperation between the sandwich plates, as there was on my TJ, I made little standoffs that welded to the plates. These Four standoffs are what actually connect the two plates together, so they won't tear throught the body.

there was an episode of extreme 4x4 TV that dealt with a setup like that. But I can't remember exactly what they did.
I do remember they had the lower tube come thru the floor and attach to the upper tubes somehow, but it was removable in case they wanted to change something on the truck.

IF it is metal on metal, than yes. But I would reccomend welding the plates to the floor.

If there is any seperation between the sandwich plates, as there was on my TJ, I made little standoffs that welded to the plates. These Four standoffs are what actually connect the two plates together, so they won't tear throught the body.

so you're saying just make it plate/floor/plate then???and weld the plate to the floor???

on that extreme 4x4 show they used a solid slug to go between the tube above and below the floor.:;

Then do it right and do an internal cage.

Why an EXO? It's a band aid fix to what...saving sheet metal?

it's not really going to be a full exo, there will be supports going through the sheet metal inside to strengthen it up and places to attach harnesses and maybe seats. And yes i do want to protect some sheet metal, I don't want my rig to look like a sack of smashed ass holes like most rigs you see on the trail:kissmyass: Unfortunately I enjoy looking at body lines/panels and not chunks of sheet metal pasted to tube.:awesomework:

Yes, I bolted mine so the two plates sandwich the floor, and then weld 'er in. This way, it resists tearing through the body, because just bolted would want to do that.

ok, so after tonight, I'm pretty much needing bolts to squish it down then weld again:redneck:

No No... If you are going to do the two plates sandwich the floor thing welding it will not stop it from ripping the floor, you have to use 2 diffrent sizes or shapes or like you can take 2 5"x7" plates and you will need to rotate one 90deg so they are not the same size and shape.

Good luck on it man:beer:

Oh yeah I did a Exo on my toyota because a inside cage would leave very little room for me :awesomework: it was not about saving the body but it did help a bit :redneck:

Last edited:
And yes i do want to protect some sheet metal, I don't want my rig to look like a sack of smashed ass holes like most rigs you see on the trail:kissmyass: Unfortunately I enjoy looking at body lines/panels and not chunks of sheet metal pasted to tube.:awesomework:

At least I ain't the only one. :awesomework:

It's strange that 90% of the vehicles you see with EXO's on the trails are Yota's...why is that?

What is so special about japanese sheet metal that makes it worth having the the most butt ass :kissmyass: ugly vehicle on the trail?

And how can you possible still enjoy looking at the lines of the vehicle (sheet metal) after you cover it up with a bunch of tube and can't see the lines anyway?

Last edited:
Cause Japanese people are SMALL. :fawkdancesmiley: :haha: :haha:

Yeah once a 5'10" or bigger guy gets inside there is not much room left for a inside cage so you take it out-side hence the Exo :D

Oh yeah I do agree most look like **** like when you can fit your arm between the cage and body not good....

Last edited:
It's strange that 90% of the vehicles you see with EXO's on the trails are Yota's...why is that?

What is so special about japanese sheet metal that makes it worth having the the most butt ass :kissmyass: ugly vehicle on the trail?

And how can you possible still enjoy looking at the lines of the vehicle (sheet metal) after you cover it up with a bunch of tube and can't see the lines anyway?

good thing i'm not building a toyota then:fawkdancesmiley:

my favorite part of the truck are the fenders and i'm not covering those up with tube. I'm not covering up the bed with tube either. I have to laugh because you say you hate exos, but really you have a glorified exo:haha: :D

but seriously though it need to be outside cus there woouldn't be enough room inside for me. to scrunched up as it is...

Latest posts

Back