• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired Aluminum links

I ordered 2 sticks. Spares.....or I may be stretching my WB a few more inches. :flipoff1:

InDaShop said:
I ordered 2 sticks. Spares.....or I may be stretching my WB a few more inches. :flipoff1:

I just saw that shiat at the Kaiser compound.... daaaaaaaayum BLING... Make Kelly polish em out before your get em.

How does the 7075 slide on the rocks compared to the 6061? I,ve been running 2.5" 6061 aluminum links for about two years. They are way tougher than the steel ,but the only problem I have with em is that they don,t slide over the rocks as well. They almost stick to the rocks especially out west.

From what I've actually got them on they slide well, and don't peel off, errr I'm not sure the right word, but since they aren't as soft they slide better, and dont end up peeling piecs of like string cheese like the softer materials.

not to step on your toes kelly but I've got some left over 1.75x1.5 solid rectangular that I need to get my money back out of.

kid rok said:
How does the 7075 slide on the rocks compared to the 6061? I,ve been running 2.5" 6061 aluminum links for about two years. They are way tougher than the steel ,but the only problem I have with em is that they don,t slide over the rocks as well. They almost stick to the rocks especially out west.

6061? How do you keep your links straight? That stuff has no memory.

yield strength on 6061 is ~40k
7075 is ~ 70k

yes 7075 is stronger but he's running 2.5" links not 1.75-2" that others are running in 7075

6061 in 2.5" is about 10% stronger (in bending) than 2" 7075

rockwild said:
yield strength on 6061 is ~40k
7075 is ~ 70k

yes 7075 is stronger but he's running 2.5" links not 1.75-2" that others are running in 7075

I know what the yields are, it's the memory I'm wonderin about. Ever tried bending a piece of 6061 sheetmetal? It has no flex at all. When it changes shape it stays put 7075 will bend, to a point, and return to its original shape.

not arguing just posting facts

I do stress analysis on aluminum as my day job

yield strength is the point at which the material will not return - "memory" if you wil (2%)
once it's yielded it's bent

so the 6061 has way lower memory (~50%) than 7075 and it will permanently bend sooner --- If they are the same size

yield strength is a stress and that stress is highest at the outer edges of the material
so if the material is larger it takes a much larger force to create the same stress

my statement:

was based off the calculations from the 3/4 link calculator posted on Pirate
If you bend 2.5" 6061 you would also have bent 2" 7075 - not may people do that

Get the Tech outta here... you gotta be kidding ! laughing1

Wow cool information indeed. I dont have or follow the Alum tech but thats great information regardless, learn something err day on this sight thumb.gif

here's the real tech

square is stronger in bending than round! thumb.gif

drool
links005.jpg

What benefit do you see tapering back from the threads like that. I think thats where you'd want the most material around the threads. Am I wrong?

your right but the machine shop got carried away :dunno:

in that area it could fail from shear stress not bending but according my calc it can handle it

Latest posts