• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Aluminum roof ?????

nealcj8 said:
I am wanting to put a aluminum roof on my buggy. What thickness material is everybody using for these?

Had one on my old CJ7 and it was made from 1/4" aluminum. Previous owner of the cage had it cut that thick cause it was a spare piece sitting around.

My cage is low and I worry about something coming in on my head if I roll over so I dont want it to thin but I dont wont anything to thick eather.

Re: Re: Aluminum roof ?????

I have used 1/8" on mine. They hold up well when put on a properly built chassis.

Don't go too thin. I had one pull through the bolts going down the road one time and blow off. :****:

I think I have 16 ga on my roof and it did not hold up well to its first roll. I don't need it to be structural, but if I did I would not use that thin. How much bracing you have behind it makes a big difference but I would say that if you are relying on it to be structural / protect your head 3/16 or 1/4 would be the ticket. I had 5/16 as skid plates on my old buggy with not much bracing behind it and it held up well over the years. So for something that doesn't take as many hits I would say thinner would be OK.

1/8" minimum. I have dented that fairly deep on rollovers and that is the thinnest I will ever use.

Go to a precious metals recycler and see what they have. Ones around here will resell stuff they have takin in for scrap. They sell it for a profit to you but it's usually much cheaper then buying it new. Most times it is new stuff they have as well someone brought in to scrap.

1/8th and make it a one piece design. I love the look of my roof inset in between the bars but it funnels the rain straight on my legs and shoulders!

civicmindedex79 said:
What grade did you check on? 6061 not needed or atleast I don't think so. How big a piece you need?

I need a piece about 4'-3" x 6'-3" I dont know what grade it was. I checked at limestone steel, they are about the cheepest on any metal up here in the northwest Alabama area.

Back