• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Another Dodge CTD Question

Fullywrecked said:
Yes, have the fuel pressure before the injection pump checked. If it is low then you could likely have a bad injection pump. Take it on a 50 mile test drive then have the trucks codes pulled. Most dealers will clear the codes and it takes a long drive to throw a code. By doing this you are going to save yourself about 2K if it is bad.:redneck:
Is this mostly for the 24V or both the 12 and the 24?

Boomer said:
Actually, the 12 valve Cummins have had the bigger issue with the KDP. Although the problem is also cropping up with the 24 valve engines as new as 2002. For the minimal cost and time it takes to address the issue, I'd be taking care of it on either motor.
How much (roughly) does it cost to fix the KDP problem. I figure if it hasn't been done, it could always be factored into an offering price.

Thanks again for all the help. I feel like such a Diesel noob. :redneck:

TacOffRd said:
Is this mostly for the 24V or both the 12 and the 24?

The common injection/lift pump failure issues are only for the 24v. That is not to say the mechanical pumps on the 12v cannot or do not fail, but it is much, much more rare and is a whole different animal than the 24v failures.

How much (roughly) does it cost to fix the KDP problem. I figure if it hasn't been done, it could always be factored into an offering price.

Thanks again for all the help. I feel like such a Diesel noob. :redneck:

Depends. At a diesel shop it will cost $300-400. You can do it yourself for darn near free if you don't mind reusing the crank seal, already have threadlocker and RTV sealant on hand, and can fashion a dowel pin tab out of a washer. TST sells a KDP kit for $50. I spent about $65 for a Cummins dowel pin tab, Cummins crank seal, Cummins timing cover gasket and threadlocker when I addressed the KDP in my truck.

Latest posts

Back