• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins 100k warranty?

NotMatt

Ok... so I hear people talking about this with the 5.9 motors... but I can't find anything on Cummins's website about it (or I'm not looking in the right place)... can someone who's had work done under this warranty give me the rundown? Does it really exist and what's covered and what isn't? Is there a time limit for the 100k, does it cover only the original owner, or any owner of the rig?

I have an '02 24 valve with about 73k on the ticker and it's starting to exhibit some of the tell-tale signs of possible/imminent injection pump failure... (or so I understand). It still runs good for the most part, but every once in a while when I take off from a stop, it feels like it just doesn't want to go when I press the gas pedal, hesitates for a second then goes. I also have to be very careful with the throttle to avoid tripping the fuel pressure light... essentially I don't rev it past 2000rpm's and it's fine, but it'll come on occasionally under low load/higher rpm conditions right before I shift.

I'm working on the solution to this problem right now, but it involves spending a good sum of money to "Do it Right" (FASS pump/system)... so tell me, assuming this thing goes south before I get the money gathered together to do the work that needs to be done, am I going to be up **** creek without a paddle, or is it going to be as simple as getting it to the dodge dealer to have them replace the pump?

I googled it when I was looking for warrantee info. took a lil digging but the info is out there. Just hope your rig isn't a canadian vehicle--50k warrantee where the same year in the states is 100k.

Tony: I put my VIN into the recall/warranty info on Dodge's site and it said there were no incomplete recalls for my rig. Hmm... Guess I'll call the dealership tomorrow and see what their service guys say. :D

Crash: Luckily mine is a US one... sold originally in Burien I think, or something like that... I have all the original paperwork and service records - no receipts for any injection pump or lift pump work though.

Last edited:
02 Dodge diesel should have an 5 year / 100,000 engine warranty. YOU NEED TO GET IT TO THE DEALER RIGHT NOW! as the warranty started clicking upon it's retail sale, which very likely is just about to expire, or just did expire.... as 07s are on the ground. A dealer can run your vin, and tell you the IN_SERVICE date, which started the warranty clock.
Tony

When I bought my Dodge I was told that Chrystlers warranty is 3-36,000. Motor is covered by Cummins to 100k, but is sounded like only the longblock(block,crank,pistons,head only) was covered. I could be wrong, hopefully in your case.

Last edited:
PORTER said:
When I bought my Dodge I was told that Chrystlers warranty is 3-36,000. Motor is covered by Cummins to 100k, but is sounded like only the longblock was covered. I could be wrong, hopefully in your case.

I would guess that to be correct.

Just called and talked to "JG" at Lithia Chrysler/Dodge here in Wenatchee. The injection pump is covered as part of the 100k/5 year warranty on the engine. No recalls or TSB's for my truck specifically, I have 2 months/27k left on my 5year/100k warranty....

Soooooo.... hmm... guess I'll have to get the rig in there for a new pump soon...

The thing is, I got the impression from the way he talked about it, that they replace the pump but they don't change anything in the fuel system to fix the REAL problem... since it's not considered a problem that warrants a recall/TSB, and it's not part of the "engine".

NotMatt said:
The thing is, I got the impression from the way he talked about it, that they replace the pump but they don't change anything in the fuel system to fix the REAL problem... since it's not considered a problem that warrants a recall/TSB, and it's not part of the "engine".

CORRECT. perfect time to upgrade your fuel feed setup :;

crash said:
CORRECT. perfect time to upgrade your fuel feed setup :;

So take it in, get a shiny new pump installed, and take it home and install the FASS the next day, you say? :D

NotMatt said:
Shaddup you!

What's so bad about Lithia? I hear people grumble about 'em all the time, just never heard any real stories.

Who do you think I work for :D :kissmyass:

NotMatt said:
Just called and talked to "JG" at Lithia Chrysler/Dodge here in Wenatchee. The injection pump is covered as part of the 100k/5 year warranty on the engine. No recalls or TSB's for my truck specifically, I have 2 months/27k left on my 5year/100k warranty....

Soooooo.... hmm... guess I'll have to get the rig in there for a new pump soon...

TreeClimber said:
02 Dodge diesel should have an 5 year / 100,000 engine warranty. YOU NEED TO GET IT TO THE DEALER RIGHT NOW! as the warranty started clicking upon it's retail sale, which very likely is just about to expire, or just did expire.... as 07s are on the ground. A dealer can run your vin, and tell you the IN_SERVICE date, which started the warranty clock.
Tony

Don't fiddle-fart around here. Get it done. And be thankful, very very thankful that you posted this up today, instead of in Febuary 07

TreeClimber said:
Don't fiddle-fart around here. Get it done. And be thankful, very very thankful that you posted this up today, instead of in Febuary 07

Yup... here I am thinking "Fiddle dee duh... it's an '02, I have like a year left before it's 5 years old"....

Doh. New cars are funny...

I'm going to take my little pressure light off this weekend (don't want any questions when I take it in), and call them up to schedule this on Monday.

I'm hoping they don't blow me off because they can't reproduce it... heck, I can hardly reproduce it, but I know what it is when it does it, and I know what the result will be.

NotMatt said:
I'm hoping they don't blow me off because they can't reproduce it... heck, I can hardly reproduce it, but I know what it is when it does it, and I know what the result will be.

Do not--I say DO NOT let me anyplace near your rig--I have this specialness of making those kinds of things go away :D

Hey Matt if you think you are having problems with fuel, don't drive it till you take it to the dealer.

Dodge is having a big problem with the lift pumps going out, when that happens it overloads the injection pump, makes it work to hard, and takes that out with it.( read: BIG $$)

The dealer should be familiar with this, there is a new update, if I remember right, I think they move the lift pump to inside the tank.

Just letting you know.

4xjunkie said:
Hey Matt if you think you are having problems with fuel, don't drive it till you take it to the dealer.

Dodge is having a big problem with the lift pumps going out, when that happens it overloads the injection pump, makes it work to hard, and takes that out with it.( read: BIG $$)

The dealer should be familiar with this, there is a new update, if I remember right, I think they move the lift pump to inside the tank.

Just letting you know.

Thats how mine was updated--new lift pump in the tank...

Latest posts

Back