• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins 100k warranty?

4xjunkie said:
Hey Matt if you think you are having problems with fuel, don't drive it till you take it to the dealer.

Dodge is having a big problem with the lift pumps going out, when that happens it overloads the injection pump, makes it work to hard, and takes that out with it.( read: BIG $$)

The dealer should be familiar with this, there is a new update, if I remember right, I think they move the lift pump to inside the tank.

Just letting you know.

I know I'm having problems with the fuel.

I have a low pressure light made by BD that is set up to come on when the pressure drops below 5psi. At first it was no big deal, I never saw it come on even when I romped on it... now, I can turn it on very easily by revving it past 2k rpm... and I'm feeling the typical "dead pedal" bit OCCASIONALLY... so yeah, I'm going to be taking it in and pushing for a replacement injection pump, since as far as I'm concerned, the damage is probably already done and it's only a matter of time before I start having major problems with the VP44.

As of right now, I have to keep driving it though, because it's my only rig (besides my Jeep). I'm just careful with the throttle and have been going easy on it.

NotMatt said:
I'm going to be taking it in and pushing for a replacement injection pump, since as far as I'm concerned, the damage is probably already done and it's only a matter of time before I start having major problems with the VP44. .

Matt
Keep in mind that the dealer will (should) gladly replace any parts that they can be reimbursed from Diemler/Chrysler. That means that they won't (can't) do the correct solution. Just be thankful to get the stuff you're going to get.

That said, Do ask for the moon. Politely. But firmly. If you don't get whatever you want, ask for the Service Manager (instead of the Advisor). ALWAYS be POLITE. If s/he can't help. Ask if they would please call the REGIONAL SERVICE MANAGER (a D/C employee, not a dealership employee) and see if he can authorize it.

T

The squeeky wheel gets oiled, the Sccrrreeaaaching one gets replaced. If you're at my work and ask nicely, we'll go up the corportate ladder to get it authorized... But if'n you're a dumbass, then we have no sense of obligation. Unless it was bought here, then you can be be a dumbass, and we'll still take care of you, even to our own loss

Last edited:
NotMatt said:
Just called and talked to "JG" at Lithia Chrysler/Dodge here in Wenatchee. The injection pump is covered as part of the 100k/5 year warranty on the engine. No recalls or TSB's for my truck specifically, I have 2 months/27k left on my 5year/100k warranty....

Soooooo.... hmm... guess I'll have to get the rig in there for a new pump soon...

The thing is, I got the impression from the way he talked about it, that they replace the pump but they don't change anything in the fuel system to fix the REAL problem... since it's not considered a problem that warrants a recall/TSB, and it's not part of the "engine".

First you can check the codes by turning the key from off to on three times and the codes will appear in the odometer window if I recall it is p0293 or somethng like that that is the injection pump death code. Second, if your rig has not had a pump done they will install a new lift pump in the tank if your llift pump is dead. (lift pump should be dead if your IP is failing) You can check for the intank pump by looking under the driver side foorboard they mount a big ass solenoid there to turn on the in tank pump and an additional fuse holder near the master cylinder. Good luck!

Search around TDR or NW Bombers for nearly every answer regarding the truck. They dissect these trucks as bad as anything we do offroad. If you take it to the dealer I believe their fix is a new in-tank fuel pump. I have heard mixed results with this style of pump but if you intend to purchase the FASS system in the future this may buy you some valuable time.

Latest posts

Back