• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 44 axle shafts

fubar73cj5 said:
D44 30sp are the same size as D60 30sp. The hubs are a Warn only deal, internal "Premium" hubs. I would guess that a chromo 30sp would be close to a OEM 35sp in strength, but as said before the ring gear/locker/ball joint/etc. will probably go first. I would feel confident running the 30sp outers with 36" Iroks and a medium right foot in this area.
The problem you will still be faced with is the small U-joint and ears. I understand everybody has to start out small, but if you have the extra coin a 60 is one of the best investments you can make. Some people make the small polished 44 crap last, but they dont wheel hard trust me. Been there done that. :mad:

PORTER said:
The problem you will still be faced with is the small U-joint and ears. I understand everybody has to start out small, but if you have the extra coin a 60 is one of the best investments you can make. Some people make the small polished 44 crap last, but they dont wheel hard trust me. Been there done that. :mad:

Everybody has to start out small... so if you already have the 44 up front, already have the locker, already have the steering setup, and plan on staying at 36 or 37 inch tires.... then it may make sense for you to upgrade shafts. Bobby's got a sale on U-Joints thru Xmas, and Warn shafts have heavier ears taking care of two of Porter's concerns. It has been argued (see earlier post) that an alloy 30 spline is about the same as a non-alloy 35 spline. So I believe there is a place for D44s.

That said, I still built a 60 for my TJ front.

Tony

TreeClimber said:
It has been argued (see earlier post) that an alloy 30 spline is about the same as a non-alloy 35 spline. So I believe there is a place for D44

Tony
I agree they have their place, but I will never agree with the cromo 30 spline being as strong as a stock 35 and this is why. How many times do you see a D44 shaft break in any other area than the U-joint/ear area. Ya it happens from time to time but the Majority of the time the u-joint or ears are the area of breakage. So I will say that the shaft may be somewhat as strong but still has the weaker ear problem. This is why a 60 is far superior to a 44. Dont get me wrong as I am not trying to **** on anybody but am giving my real world opinion as I have egged out some name brand 44 chromos in a single day of wheeling. I myself bought into the" you can make a 44 as strong as a 60 idea" But I am here to tell you there is no comparison. I spent alot more money, only to get a 60 in the end. Again 44s have their place, but if you can spend the money right off the bat on a 60 you are dollars ahead.:;

I'd go for the 60. Even with chromo shafts in the front of my ford it waisted a joint and took both the inner/outer shaft with it. I've decided that I'm going to stick stock axle shafts in it till I either sell that thing or upgrade to 1 ton gear

I just think it's funny the two voices of reason are drowned out by everyone saying a 60 is the only cure. LOL

I ran 36's for what.. 2 years? on a D44 with stock shafts, did front burns all the time. NEVER snapped a shaft, maybe wore out one joint, but it was caught and replaced under routine maintenance.

Then again, I don't have my bump stops turned so far in my u-joint is going to bind.

Biggest problem I have with the D44 is the balljoints dying prematurely when I do front burns.

Theres always that little thought/stress of worrying about your fronty 44 stuff no matter what axles/joints you have, but with the 60 the piece of mind is nice, as long as it doesn't give you the "invinceable" feeling. I've seen this plenty. I like the sanity of not having to worry about the front axles ALL the time anymore. JMO.

fubar73cj5 said:
Quick hijack, do you still think it was worth the money (right now about $1k) to do the chromo 30sp inners/outers with joints and hubs or would you go 60? I'm in a similar situation and am thinking about the Warn 30sp inners/outers. Not going any larger than 37's, currently on 36" Iroks.

Carry on :beer:

where you are right now... Go bigger. a 60 or a 609. buy the shafts and such for the bigger front end instead..

Travis said:
I just think it's funny the two voices of reason are drowned out by everyone saying a 60 is the only cure. LOL

I ran 36's for what.. 2 years? on a D44 with stock shafts, did front burns all the time. NEVER snapped a shaft, maybe wore out one joint, but it was caught and replaced under routine maintenance.

Then again, I don't have my bump stops turned so far in my u-joint is going to bind.

Biggest problem I have with the D44 is the balljoints dying prematurely when I do front burns.

But 5 runs in 2 years don't count for much :;

PORTER said:
I agree they have their place, but I will never agree with the cromo 30 spline being as strong as a stock 35 and this is why. How many times do you see a D44 shaft break in any other area than the U-joint/ear area. Ya it happens from time to time but the Majority of the time the u-joint or ears are the area of breakage. So I will say that the shaft may be somewhat as strong but still has the weaker ear problem. This is why a 60 is far superior to a 44. Dont get me wrong as I am not trying to **** on anybody but am giving my real world opinion as I have egged out some name brand 44 chromos in a single day of wheeling. I myself bought into the" you can make a 44 as strong as a 60 idea" But I am here to tell you there is no comparison. I spent alot more money, only to get a 60 in the end. Again 44s have their place, but if you can spend the money right off the bat on a 60 you are dollars ahead.:;

I have broken many shafts and they all (except 1) have broken everywhere BUT the ears. most of the time they break into three pieces right where the axle goes from the shaft and splits into the ears.

Just an FYI. The original Warn shafts were very good, but the newer stuff does not seem to hold up near as well. I don't know if they changed suppliers or what, but they are not lasting like the older ones. I have broken 4 Warn shafts and in my mind only one was justified. I am looking to go bigger.

But, Bobby joints are great. they have survived everything I have thrown at them and multiple axle failures.

GaryTJ said:
Just an FYI. The original Warn shafts were very good, but the newer stuff does not seem to hold up near as well. I don't know if they changed suppliers or what, but they are not lasting like the older ones. I have broken 4 Warn shafts and in my mind only one was justified. I am looking to go bigger.

I did not know that. Glad I got mine when I did.

Latest posts

Back