• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dirt riot?

Unfortunately in this world of suing ass folks and ambulance chasing lawyers, there are loop holes in any contract. Especially release of liability disclaimers like on sporting event tickets and sign in sheets like at srrs events, drag races, and I'm sure dirt riot. If the family wants to sue bad enough, they will and they will win for his poor decision.

pholmann said:
Unfortunately in this world of suing ass folks and ambulance chasing lawyers, there are loop holes in any contract. Especially release of liability disclaimers like on sporting event tickets and sign in sheets like at srrs events, drag races, and I'm sure dirt riot. If the family wants to sue bad enough, they will and they will win for his poor decision.
The truth

Neal3000 said:
I don't understand how some can be so cold hearted, guess yall have never done something stupid that almost or could have cost you your life? Prayers for the people and families involved.

But when I jumped off the Alcoa Hwy bridge over the Tn river and got stuck in the mud at the bottom and almost drowned, I had it coming. When I stole a raft and got shot in the back 5 times and almost died, I had it coming. When I........

So many ethical related posts on HL these past few weeks...

Neal3000 said:
I don't understand how some can be so cold hearted, guess yall have never done something stupid that almost or could have cost you your life? Prayers for the people and families involved.

I don't necessarily see it as them being cold hearted. I don't think anyone is glad the guy died but I don't think it's cold hearted to not care if he did. Thousands of people die every day and if you cared at all you'd live a really sad life. If I died tomorrow I wouldn't expect anyone on here to genuinely care because I only know 2 people on here personally and long enough to form a meaningful relationship with.

I've personally never been responsible for someone losing their life so I can't say for sure how I would feel about it but I think if I was the driver I would feel bad about it a little but it wasn't my fault so it wouldn't bother me that much. Then again I might be in a mental institution 1 year later eating crayons for dinner.

5BrothersFabrication said:
I'm a veteran, so I am very desensitized. I am sorry if I offended anyone.

No offense taken here. I guess i'm just a softy but it is sad to me that someone who was a fan or a member of our sport got killed, yes doing something stupid, but still today on Easter Sunday there are some people out there who have lost a son or husband, or father and i feel bad for them. if you don't then well God bless you, to each his own.

Neal3000 said:
No offense taken here. I guess i'm just a softy but it is sad to me that someone who was a fan or a member of our sport got killed, yes doing something stupid, but still today on Easter Sunday there are some people out there who have lost a son or husband, or father and i feel bad for them. if you don't then well God bless you, to each his own.
About 5 years ago a death in our community of wheelers would not have bothered me. Now slightly older and allot less numb to my emotions this bothers me.

The crew at dirt riot does a great job with course marking and making it clear where the race cars will be. I was at the race at Chocco and they ran a tight ship. That said, when the Ultra 4 guys were running I was standing way back from the track where I felt safe. They never clipped the tape or anything, but holy **** they were hauling ass.

One of my friends who was racing the mod class told us about a guy standing inside the track taking pics during his race. Thankfully it was a slower section with 3 different lines, but he was standing in the preferred line from our pre-running and just stood there like a moron when my buddy came through waving for him to move.

Unfortunately with this type of racing there is no way they can keep eyes on the entire course to make sure spectators are staying clear. There just isn't the manpower. That's one area SRRS had an advantage regarding spectator safety. They can see the course and shut down until people are clear if morons are inside the tape

Re:

I care that he died, care for the family, but have seen enough that its just like dissecting a pig. The pig once was alive, now its dead. Insides are outsides, spleens seen better days. People do die everyday. People are also born everyday. I am not jumping for joy over the ones I dont know or crying my eyes out. It is sad for the ones directly involved and I will pray for them.

Don't take life too serious, no one gets out alive.

Kel Lawrence

Damn at some of these comments. Sad.
If being a dumbass is reason for death, then half of you wouldn't have the privilege of posting on this thread. Not a single person currently on Earth is flawless. He was a brother of wheeling, and I will say a prayer for him and his family.

It is sad that someone lost a life doing something that really did not need to be done. However it is sadder still that a lot of non participants to this event will call for actions and laws to be put in place to prevent something that cannot be prevented. YOU CANNOT FIX STUPID. I have done plenty of stupid things and been fairly lucky with avoiding injury in doing so. However at no time in the course of doing said stupid things have I ever felt once that there should be more rules or control to prevent me from doing what I did. I knew it was dumb before I did and did it anyways because I thought I was bullet proof at the moment. The fact that people think more rules will get people to stop thinking they can do something without consequence will never happen. It is just human nature.

I still would not wish the pain of death on the family of any involved though.

LandSpeeder said:
Damn at some of these comments. Sad.
If being a dumbass is reason for death, then half of you wouldn't have the privilege of posting on this thread. Not a single person currently on Earth is flawless. He was a brother of wheeling, and I will say a prayer for him and his family.

Opinions folks, we all have them. That's one of the reason I like the wheeling community. If someone's opinion differs, that's ok. It isn't sad, just different. I am not happy he's dead, nor did I get that from any of the other posters. Did I chuckle at the thought of a U4 car running a hundo, eyes in terror, blurry selfie? I would be lying if I said I didn't actually make an audible noise in the form of laughter.

The internets allow us to express these opinions and some of us don't always see eye to eye, ask Josh Dean. I refuse to be a sheep, led to slaughter. I will always be me, love it or hate it.

That being said, there are people hurting from this, just like there are people hurting losing a battle with Chrones, Cancer or a gnarly bike crash this morning. This one directly affects us to an extent.

Also, I am a proponent of more rules at these events. It isn't to protect the spectators, but the land owners, managers and promoters. This exact tragedy could ruin it for all the other spectators. Most of us seem like the type not to sue. That being said, there are a lot of new spectators out that don't have a similar mindset. Set places to watch from and people getting kicked out for breaking rules, otherwise these events will start having limited places to go and the insurance premiums will force people to shut down these places we so like to wheel.

I copied this from Facebook.

I'm sad and still trying to wrap my head around what happened yesterday.

While staging our racecar at BFE moments before a race that we had been highly anticipating, My Co-driver and I witnessed a 4400 car come off of a dirt jump with slow, rear driver-side external rotation forcing the vehicle to land on a tree that was approximately three feet outside of the race track's marked boundary. After seeing the vehicle land, I noticed an individual run up and look at the ground where the vehicle had landed on the tree. I then saw that person who ran up try to assist or pick someone off the ground. With out hesitation I ran out to the track while it was still "Hot" to where the vehicle had landed and found a man laying face down with no spontaneous movement what so ever. After checking for a pulse and not finding one, myself, and my co-driver moved the injured man to his back. Because of the man's lack of pulse and obvious extent of injuries I immediately initiated CPR and told my partner to call for a Medivac/helicopter.

This all happened in a mater of 10-15 seconds.

I continued CPR and rescue efforts for what seemed to be forever as it always does in situations like this. While doing CPR I could hear bystanders in the background saying that the victim had been seen laying down in the gap of the jump, on the race course, taking video of the racecars jumping over him. He was also seen taking "selfies" dangerously close with his back turned to the course of the racecars jumping behind him. I heard another person say that he was told several times to get away from the race course.

Eventually other bystanders,spectators,and racers arrived to help in the resuscitation efforts.

We attempted to resuscitate for over an hour to no avail.

In my experience as a Paramedic. Because of the position that the spectator had chosen to put himself in, the force of the vehicle landing, and the extent of the immediate injuries, efforts were likely futile to begin with.

This was a major tragedy my heart breaks for all parties involved.

To victims family:
I am so deeply sorry for your loss. We did everything we could with the equipment that we had to get him back home to you.

To the Driver:
This was not your fault Brother!!!
Anyone, at anytime, in any race, could have landed there. There was nothing that you could have done differently to avoid this from happening. If you need anything just let me know.

To the Promoters:
The victim wanted to get as close as he could, and he did. No amount of additional barrier tape or authoritative personal would have made any difference yesterday. If it didn't happen to him there, it probably would have happened to him elsewhere on the course. He made his own decision to put himself in harms way. I hope that this accident doesn't discourage you from holding more events. You have my love and support.

To everyone involved in helping in the resuscitation efforts:
Even if this would have happened next door to the best hospital in the world, with all of the best medical personnel, nothing more could have been done than what we did!

To the Fans and Spectators of this sport:
Danger is one of the most defining aspects of motorsports. It's been that way since the first "motoring contests" of the late 1800s, and it's probably going to be true forever. The very fact that it involves huge, metal projectiles being driven around a course at high speeds while people stand around and watch means it's going to be inherently unsafe. Drivers accept that risk, but in the most unfortunate of cases, the spectators are the ones who get hurt. Please use common sense if you choose to come to an event of any type. Never turn your back to the track. Be aware of your surroundings. Help keep others safe.

I'm new to the racing community. However, Its easy to see that its a tight nit family environment, where everyone seems to take care of each other and watch one another's back. In my opinion the fans and spectators must be an extension of that family. If you see some one that looks like they are where they shouldn't be please don't be shy. Say something, tell an authoritative figure. Do what ever you can to get them to a safer area. They may not realize it at the time but you could be saving that persons life!

I hope this sheds some light on what happened yesterday. I know that it is just my perspective but being the first person to initiate and render aid to the victim I thought that I would share what I saw to clear up any rumor.

With love, respect, and support to everyone who has been affected by yesterdays tragedy,

Israel Estares
Knuckle Busters LTD

Damn. I can't handle tragedy very well. I could never do the job EMT's do. JR, I know you are in that field. Kuddos to you man. And anyone else who is a first responder.

Latest posts

Back