• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help! 1992 5.8 runs rough

I've got another question for you---is the engine original/stock, or rebuilt...if so<---what's been done to the engine? If someone has put a cam in it---may well be your problem...without custom (and potentially expensive) tuning, a cam in these engines will never work/operate properly!!!

The engine ran rough and had alot of miles on it so the owner had it rebuilt (stock) a couple years ago and it still ran rough. He has had a couple mechanics work on it but they could never get it running good, it has been sitting for about 6 months. He said if I cant get it running good he is going to sell it and buy something else.

So if the shop gets it running good he's gonna keep it?? Im confused.:eeek:

Sorry, I couldnt resist.

Let us know what they find.

The EGR valve and selenoid was bad, so I replaced it with a new Ford part. It runs better now but has a surging idle about 300 rpm to 1000 rpm. At stoplights I have to put it in neutral so the idle smooths out. The starter was replaced yesterday and it is at Walts getting a new muffler today because it is rusted out and falling off. Does anyone know how to check the IAC valve/solenoid? It looks new but a chinese/taiwanese part.

The EGR valve and selenoid was bad, so I replaced it with a new Ford part. It runs better now but has a surging idle about 300 rpm to 1000 rpm. At stoplights I have to put it in neutral so the idle smooths out. The starter was replaced yesterday and it is at Walts getting a new muffler today because it is rusted out and falling off. Does anyone know how to check the IAC valve/solenoid? It looks new but a chinese/taiwanese part.

Has any one checked the minimum idle? If not, check it, and make sure it's within spec... If so and it's ok, try and go through a relearn (disconnect battery neg, touch neg cable to positive for a few seconds, reconnect bat neg, then follow the relearn procedure from there(I don't remember the exact process)...

Back