• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mud flap laws?

TOPWOP

What are the laws for mud flaps i dont want any trouble with the law. also bumper heights and how far the tire can stick out of the wheel well.
thanks

I just emailed you all that I found on Friday on those subjects after getting stopped by the WSP on my way home. :awesomework:

What rig are you looking them up for? If its a Jeep as in cj/wrangler most folks dont know they are a "car" not a "truck" so you get the real weak bumper height. I believe you can register a jeep with a GVW? though if you want.

Many, many WSP troopers and assorted county sheriff's deputies have all told me the same thing on mudflaps/ fender flares-

-Full width of the tire covered, no tire sticking out past body/fenders/flares
-Mudflaps must come down to the centerline of the axle
-Flares covering the top of the tire, full width of the tire

I've also gotten nailed a lot for lighting issues but never for bumper height, I don't even have bumpers. :redneck:

How many of us can honestly say we are even 75% legal though? Honestly...some of that stuff is just silly hard to follow on modified vehicles.

~Scott

Many, many WSP troopers and assorted county sheriff's deputies have all told me the same thing on mudflaps/ fender flares-

-Full width of the tire covered, no tire sticking out past body/fenders/flares
-Mudflaps must come down to the centerline of the axle
-Flares covering the top of the tire, full width of the tire

Thats what i have read and im going to try to get it as close as i can. i just dont like trouble.

Removable mudflaps, build your own or buy them here:

http://www.central4wd.com/category.aspx?page=id|5661

I picked up a used pair off of Craig's for $25.00 (she even gave me the bolts)

If you're Reiter bound The "talk" is they will be policing the area quite heavily this year, so be legal or get tickets (if you have to drive on the road).

I'm running some Bushwacker flares (also off of Craig's for 100.00) but I know they'll get peeled off on a tree sometime. Most of the tube fenders I see on line or on people's rigs don't cover the width of the tire, guess I'll have to figger out how to make some.

That link to WSP is awesome, I printed off the 'printer friendly' version to keep in my glove box in case I need it.

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/equipmt/after_market_vehicle_equipment.pdf

Last edited:
Back