• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pickett State Park/Blackhouse Mountian 1-23-2016

IMG_4078.png

Sounds like the same path as Tellico?? Kiss it goodbye!!!!
Quite possible for sure. They (the State) did something similar with Franklin State Forest where they closed it for maintenance for X amount of time, then extended it to Y amount of time, and eventually reopened Z a handful of miles to OHV traffic but that was it.

What grinds my gears here is that the State had done minimal to no maintenance here for a long, long time (dating back to when I lived/rode up there 2004 to 2010ish) so to suddenly "care about maintenance" is quite interesting.

The proliferation of mapping apps/software along with SXS makes riding "new" areas much more accessible to people.
And when it's a state forest with no maintenance, management, permits, etc, it's easy for vehicles to wreck the place.

Anyone that has ridden there is guilty of taking bypasses around the giant ruts and mud holes.
Hell most of us are guilty of cutting/making new climbs on rock ledges/obstacles

The spiderwebbing of trails out through the forest around ruts and holes is the real problem.

The TN Forestry Service has no resources to support OHV use, so there only option (as of now) is closure when the roads become unpassable.

TWRA used to be the same on the Wildlife Management Area but that has slowly changed over the past 20 years and now the North Cumberland WMA is a designated OHV riding area with plans in place.

*Hopefully* the TWRA will continue to develop OHV opportunities for other areas. Maybe SFWDA getting involved will be good... My opinion is that it will have somewhere between no effect to slightly positive, but people will now have a scapegoat to blame when areas get closed.

Quite possible for sure. They (the State) did something similar with Franklin State Forest where they closed it for maintenance for X amount of time, then extended it to Y amount of time, and eventually reopened Z a handful of miles to OHV traffic but that was it.

What grinds my gears here is that the State had done minimal to no maintenance here for a long, long time (dating back to when I lived/rode up there 2004 to 2010ish) so to suddenly "care about maintenance" is quite interesting.
Forestry has to survey the timber occasionally (like every decade or so) as part of the forestry management plan. My thoughts are they are getting ready to sell some of the timber so it will be closed for a while.
They did the same thing in Natchez Trace years ago.
The Natchez Trace State Forest is/was the west TN equivalent to Pickett SF as far as OHV riding in the 80s/90s/early 00s.
As far as I know, it is still a popular riding area, but has managed to stay out of the greater public knowledge.

Back