• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pinion and pinion bearing welded????

rover18

My toyota V6 third has a stuck pinion/pinion bearing. I took it to a shop and they said they put 15 tons of pressure on the pinion, but nothing happened. Could you cut the pinion from the bearing with a torch, or could that warp the housing? Or should I just buy a new housing. Looking for ideas.

What do you mean stuck? As in unable to press the pinion out of the inner bearing?

I believe it is the outer pinion bearing, the smaller of the two bearings. I think what happened is the bearing seized and got so hot that it welded itself to the pinion shaft.

Every one I have seen do that also takes out the housing where the race is pressed into it...

Use a small ball peen and small sledge, hold the ballpeen hammer on the pinion and hit that hammer with a bigger hammer. I have done hundreds of gear sets and maybe two had to have the bearing torched apart.

You in Edgewood?

Use a small ball peen and small sledge, hold the ballpeen hammer on the pinion and hit that hammer with a bigger hammer. I have done hundreds of gear sets and maybe two had to have the bearing torched apart.

You in Edgewood?

Yeah, until Friday. Are you close?

Happened to a buddy. I took a die grinder to the inner race, pulled the rollers out (cage was already destroyed), and the pinion fell out. I hacked the rest of the bearing off and ended up reusing the pinion.