• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ran out of Diesel

boxboy

can I be your friend...
So I ran the truck out of Diesel on the way home Sunday and just towed it home with the jeep<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I dumped 10 gallons of diesel in when I got home but it still will not start. Any suggestions on getting it running?

2000 F250 super duty

open the check valve on the fuel filter. make sure fuel is coming out. Might have a bug air bubble stopping it. IDK I'm not a diesel person.

You may have to crank it for a loooooooooong time. I went through this when I replaced my injectors.
Just don't ruin your starter.

Is your fuel gage broken? :scratchhead:

Seriously, I have never run out of fuel anywhere.

It ran out pulling up my hill (you need to see the hill to understand) I knew I had 15 gallons at my house to put in it...

Hey this is the tech section don't make me call a mod on you :fawkdancesmiley:

I really meant GOOD luck :D We had a guy do that coming out of buck medows. 2 hours later and 4 batteries it was running again. Whatever you can do to purge the air out...

I'm pretty sure those things have mechanical fuel pumps, so your going to have to crank and crank and crank to get the air out... Have fun:flipoff:

I found this

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/wife-ran-truck-out-diesel-wont-start-214966/

. The fuel pump was starved and therefore not priming. Because I hate the taste of diesel, I chose a different route with the same result. I took my small Dewalt shop-vac and switched it from suck to blow and, using a rag to create a good seal, placed it on the filler neck where you fill up with diesel at the gas station. I had found out that the fuel pump runs for about 15 seconds with the key on so I just turned the key and quickly put pressure on the system using my shop-vac. Then I checked to see if the bowl was filling up and sure enough it was. Screwed on the cap/filter and in 2 cranks it was running, rough as crap, but running. Thanks for the tips, it would have taken me much longer to get it figured out!

GOOD LUCK :corn:

this will learn ya to not run it down again. :haha: Just like most have said, It needs to prime itself, and get the air out. Sometimes it takes a long time, sometimes it doesnt.