• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ran out of Diesel

Funny all you folks with your wanking.

My duramax came with a manual pump to prime the fuel filter. It takes lots of pumps, but saves me from burning up a starter. Crank the screw open, pump till you see fuel, close the screw and start the truck.

Hi Mr. new to diesels.. My cummins has the same thing :kiss:

yes I pulled them this morning but have not had time to look into them...

P0470 Exhaust back press. Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1212 ICP Voltage not at expected level

Last edited:

Doesn'r sound good unless the battery went dead then that would throw the voltage code
thought about hitting it with a little eather and see if it fires. that might be all it takes

I wouldn't be so concerned with the ebp code, but the ICP I would....do you have the ability to look at datastream info???

I've seen the ICP nuts fall off, causing the ICP solenoid to sliide back and cause a lack of power, or if it slid back far enough a NO START...You did say it died going up a hill??? Check on the back of the HP oil pump....the sensor sould be held on with a really thin nut...

I say it's one of two things or both....Battery is too low and won't crank fast enough to start or you still don't have fuel.
I would CAUTIOUSELY prime it with ether and see if it starts. Likely it will but if there's still no fuel it will die right away.

I would CAUTIOUSELY prime it with ether and see if it starts. .
Just the lightest,little poof of ether into the air filter opening....AND THATS IT!! don't keep adding ether if it doesn't start.....the ether will "pool" up and "release" when it coughs to life and PISS RAP TOO THE MOON!!

My Gen I ran away on "pooled" ether and reved to probably 5K before it settled down......but atleast it started:redneck:

I cleared the codes and they have not repeated (yet). I am thinking it is the lift pump took a dump on me if I let the pump cycle a couple times i can get the motor to start and run for about 30 sec. I do not have any way to test line pressure.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I have probably 30 to 40 minutes of crank time over the last several days I have been going out every couple hours and giving it a crank...

Edit: I also found a vent tube coming off the front of the motor which is weeping diesel

Last edited:
Edit: I also found a vent tube coming off the front of the motor which is weeping diesel

That would be the filter drain valve leaking...replace it; fairly common to leak;by weeping,is it just a small drip, or is it running out when you cycle the pump?
Usually if you can hear the lift pump run, it should prime up..

That would be the filter drain valve leaking...replace it; fairly common to leak;by weeping,is it just a small drip, or is it running out when you cycle the pump?
Usually if you can hear the lift pump run, it should prime up..

IT is just a small drip it was just "something I found"

The lift pump does prime up but I read someplace the High pressure pump needs up around 550 PSI from the lift pump or the high pressure pump does not work right or run at all...

The lift pump does prime up but I read someplace the High pressure pump needs up around 550 PSI from the lift pump or the high pressure pump does not work right or run at all...

Sounds like you're reading on the Dodge pages....The lift pump doesn't pump anywhere near 550 lbs, I doubt any lift pump does....Are you still not getting any new codes?

Sounds like you're reading on the Dodge pages....The lift pump doesn't pump anywhere near 550 lbs, I doubt any lift pump does....Are you still not getting any new codes?

Sorry typo-ed that I meant 55.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I played with the truck some more and got it to started this morning so I ran it down to DDP to have them take a look, They found a #8 injector balance fault but the engine is running smooth so they suspect a bad UVC wiring which I hear can chafe on the valve cover... so they are thinking it ground out and would not let the truck start.<o:p></o:p>
They tested the lift pump for me and it is at 54 psi at idle and 53 psi under load.

They also replaced the connecter to the IPR valve as this is also a know issue with no start issues.

Last edited:

Not 550 FROM the lift pump, the High psi oil pump needs a min of 500psi...I've seen a few start with alittle lower than that, but not much.... Did they find anything definitive that will cause your issue?? Almost sounds like they shotgunned it hoping for the best (both possibilities are legit, but did they find anything (wiring or otherwise)that was actually bad???)....How'd it run on the way down there? And did you notice any difference after the repairs??
One other thing that may have caused your no start is the Hi psi oil pump resivoir may have drained, which would repuire ALOT of cranking to get the resivioir filled again....may sound stupid, but have you checked your oil level making sure it's not low??? I've seen it happen where the oil gets low enough it starves the HP oil pump (basically emptying its resivoir) causing it to stall.

Sorry typo-ed that I meant 55.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I played with the truck some more and got it to started this morning so I ran it down to DDP to have them take a look, They found a #8 injector balance fault but the engine is running smooth so they suspect a bad UVC wiring which I hear can chafe on the valve cover... so they are thinking it ground out and would not let the truck start.<o:p></o:p>
They tested the lift pump for me and it is at 54 psi at idle and 53 psi under load.

They also replaced the connecter to the IPR valve as this is also a know issue with no start issues.

could also be a problem in the IDM...But hopefully it's fixed!!:awesomework:

The IPR valve wiring as they put it "partially disintegrated" so they replace the connector.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
The UVC wiring requires removal of the valve cover and it books at 2.5 hours. They have not replaced the wiring yet but it is a common issue on the 7.3 super duties so this is just a theory but the wiring is original factory wiring and the replacement has a "fix" for the chafing