• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Should have bought a dodge...

Turtle Bite

Last week, vacuum pump. This week, blown fuse. I cant wait for next week. Heck, I have put almost 3500 miles on my powerstroke since I bought it, I guess I am lucky so far:shaking:

Does anyone know what causes the #22 30A maxifuse under the hood to blow? The owners manual says its the fuel line heater, glow plug controller, and the "Powertrain control system relay coil". I was just driving along with the truck well warmed up and boom, nothing. Any way a chip could be causing it? Its a 96' Powerstroke 5 speed. No codes or CEL with the blown fuse.

I think that this is a fuel bowl heater fuse. You really don't need that thing here in the NW. (it never gets cold enough) Just disconnect it and it'll be fine.

The element in the bowl corrodes and shorts out....blowing the fuse. Disconnect it, fish it out, whatever....You don't need the fuel heater.

The element in the bowl corrodes and shorts out....blowing the fuse. Disconnect it, fish it out, whatever....You don't need the fuel heater.
More like the heater element comes loose from the goo that it's held in with....Agreed that you likely don't need it around here, especially if the truck is plugged in on colder nights....Either way---just disconnect it, install new fuse-run it...:awesomework:

I knew I wasn't right on in why it shorts...but the end result is still the same. Disconnect it and run it. :awesomework:

I had to replace the vacuum pump in Coos Bay, OR last year while we were camped in the sand dunes. Really not a horrible job providing you can get the tools. Yep..11 year old trucks have parts that need replaced every now and then..... No matter if it's, ford, chevy, or dodge, or toyota or anything else with a motor.

just out of curiosity, what kind of temps does it take to need the fuel heater?

god forbid a 12 year old truck has any issues

I knew I wasn't right on in why it shorts...but the end result is still the same. Disconnect it and run it. :awesomework:

I had to replace the vacuum pump in Coos Bay, OR last year while we were camped in the sand dunes. Really not a horrible job providing you can get the tools. Yep..11 year old trucks have parts that need replaced every now and then..... No matter if it's, ford, chevy, or dodge, or toyota or anything else with a motor.

Cool thanks for the help guys. I guess I was just a little pissed that I have had so many problems. I expected some, but not a new one per week.

Is there a replacement heater available other than the dealer? No luck at Napa and Shucks. I have no idea where the nearest International parts house is. I noticed that the truck smokes more than the other Powerstrokes on startup, I would like to keep the heater if it not to hard to find the part.

if you can get the part number I'll see if my brother can get a decent price on it. he works at a ford dealership.

ya shoulda bought a dodge.....so he can fix the track bar,and the sucky brakes,and the oil leaks,headlights.blah..blah.. no matter what a guy gets it will have probs:haha:

ya shoulda bought a dodge.....so he can fix the track bar,and the sucky brakes,and the oil leaks,headlights.blah..blah.. no matter what a guy gets it will have probs:haha:

amen to that. I was going to say he should've gotten a Chevy.. but oh wait, the injectors, seals, electronics, etc, etc :haha: :haha: :haha:

just remember this.. it'll most like cost you more to trade it for anything else. And you'll probably just end up with another set of problems

brakes are only bad if you use em.. And there is nothing against swerving around in your lane as long as you stay in your lane :haha: . And seeing at night? Blah, over rated. Get a better bumper and your good to go :awesomework:

I let a guy at work borrow my truck yesterday to run out and buy something.. I warned him about the steering and the brakes.. He called me "Yea I can see how this could be fun, it doesn't drive straight or brake but it goes real good!" :redneck: .. Hopefully soon I can fix the brake issue though.

amen to that. I was going to say he should've gotten a Chevy.. but oh wait, the injectors, seals, electronics, etc, etc :haha: :haha: :haha:

just remember this.. it'll most like cost you more to trade it for anything else. And you'll probably just end up with another set of problems

Well at least with crappy brakes and steering I could drive home, instead of getting towed. I guess I am getting what I paid for with this truck.

I had a thought, if the fuel line heater is the short, why would it be coming on after the truck is well warmed up? If it is used for cold starts, why would it cycle on after driving down the road for 20 minutes? I just put a new fuse in for now, if it lasts me a year no worries, if it blows again I will worry about changing the heater element.

You guys must have bought the wrong year as mine stops nice, steers great, lights are nice and bright, quiet and powerful. Sucks to be you guys.:fawkdancesmiley:

Well at least with crappy brakes and steering I could drive home, instead of getting towed. I guess I am getting what I paid for with this truck.

I had a thought, if the fuel line heater is the short, why would it be coming on after the truck is well warmed up? If it is used for cold starts, why would it cycle on after driving down the road for 20 minutes? I just put a new fuse in for now, if it lasts me a year no worries, if it blows again I will worry about changing the heater element.
Did you pull the filter out and check to see if the heater has come loose from it's base? You better, cuz it'll leave you stranded when you least expect it..:awesomework:

If you are already upset with the little stuff, ya might as well sell, buy a honda and drive it till you can afford a brand new truck with a warranty. It doesn't get any easier.

If you are already upset with the little stuff, ya might as well sell, buy a honda and drive it till you can afford a brand new truck with a warranty. It doesn't get any easier.

Man, with the issues of today's trucks, I'm not sure I'd do it....even with warranty, the downtime seems to be an even bigger frustration...