• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Solid drive flanges- What's the difference?

bushhog750

So my ole lady just ordered me some Solid Industries 35 spline drive flanges cause I said I liked them. Anyway they have a removable slug option that is $20.00 more. Does anyone know what this is. What's the difference between the ones I got and the removable slug ones. I will post the link to the site and if you look at the bottom of the Solid page it says "style" with the $20.00 option.

http://www.solidaxle.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=15&idcategory=12

I may be wrong, but...

Without the removable slug option, if you pull the slug out, you will have nothing to bolt the cap to. With the removable slug option, they have done something to still allow you to run the cap without a slug in it.

That makes sense. I was going to call and see what it was and pay the extra $20.00 if I needed to but I don't think I will. The Yukons I have now won't run the cap if I take the slug out and it hasn't effected me yet.

if you break ring n pinion, axle or something you can remove slug get it out of woods without taking axles out i have seen ring n pinion lock up after they break made it every easy to get truck out of woods

bee513 said:
if you break ring n pinion, axle or something you can remove slug get it out of woods without taking axles out i have seen ring n pinion lock up after they break made it every easy to get truck out of woods

Well to my surprise she told me she got the removable version.

bee513 said:

You can do that with any of them, just take it out.

The removable feature (at least how some other companies do it) is a ring with tabs that let you bolt the cover on without the flange in place.
Like this one
ORD%2035%20spline%20drive%20flanges.jpg

Take the slug out and its like unlocking the hubs. Good option if you drive it on the street or if you break a lot of parts.

I don't drive it on the street at all. But it is good to know that I can put the cap back on with the flange out to keep dirt and **** from getting in the hub if it comes to that. Thanks for the input.

If your solid's come with the large snap ring(which I recommend using) go a head and do yourself a favor, get an 11" ratcheting set of snap ring pliers. They will make life so easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back