• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

spider 9 or dana 60

So beings that I know how much it costs to build a Dana 60, how much to build a Spider9? Just curious, as I want to know how much more it costs for 1inch more clearence.

Housing $399. Knuckles $899(?retail yet to be determined)Unit Bearings $325(X2). Rotor's/Calipers/hats $700(wilwood). Shafts(bobby's)$1500ish. case$250. Gears $250. Locker $300-$900. Yoke$70. and I might be forgetting something.
Don't forget your getting more than just an inch clearance though. Great brakes,shafts,extra support bearing, easily removed carrier, better knuckles.

I wouldn't consider just using a spider 9 housing a spider9 myself. So in reality if you just used the housing and some factory knuckles,shafts,bearings etc. you could get into it much cheaper and have that extra clearance and an option of high or low pinion with minimal $ if you decide to transplant the axle later.

Just seems like a better overall choice for a Long term axle.

Last edited:
if i do either axle im building it up and putting it under the truck im not going to mess with stock stuff

i know pat talled up his stuff under his truck and he said if some one was to build his exact axles itd be 4-5k per end but i plan on either 35 spline arbs for 9's or 35 spline ox's for 60's.
do you guys think the pinion would still be plenty strong on a 9" with a ring and pinion in the 5.89 range??

do you guys think the pinion would still be plenty strong on a 9" with a ring and pinion in the 5.89 range??

Truehi9 has some interesting info on the difference between the Ford 9" and the Dana 60 gearsets.

According to their info, 5.13 Ford 9" pinion heads are quite a bit larger than the same ratio for the Dana 60.

They don't list anything taller than the 5.13 comparision as that's all they had to measure.

Truehi9 gear page

Latest posts

Back