• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What type of top for YJ cage???

Metalbender said:
I think I am going to get a .125" piece of aluminum and use the Dzus fasteners to bolt it to the top....

Yes, I use 1/8" aluminum and it works well. Mines bolted on though, not sure that the Dzus fasteners are the best for a top (I use Dzus' on the side panels, but the top only comes off for major repair work).

JPFREAK said:
Yes, I use 1/8" aluminum and it works well. Mines bolted on though, not sure that the Dzus fasteners are the best for a top (I use Dzus' on the side panels, but the top only comes off for major repair work).

Ditto...but no dzus fasteners, I think they suck for wheeling applications as they are flimsy & weak.

I am torn on this subject...

I love the open top of my Scout...love being able to take the Bikini off and go full topless. But then I hate the thing for flopping around and being so fragile.

So the solution is to AL skin the top...but then I loose the open tube feeling...

At least my windshield will fold down this year...

I guess I will be AL skinning the the thing...just get it over with.

I do like the idea of bed-lining the underside though...because a couple of "EBP" members have informed me that if you don't do something...it will rattle like a mofo...

I don't understand were everyone is getting this "rattle" from. I've ridden in quite a few rigs with this setup and find it quieter and nicer than a fabric top. All have been pop-rivited on and some used caulking in addion. Tree branches scraping across the top is about the only thing that is louder but they also don't poke holes in the top either.

If you want the top removable, put some weather striping between the top and cage. Weather striping will also give it a little "spring" to push again any fasteners along with removing rattles.

Last edited:
Metalbender said:
I was thinking the spring in the dzus fasteners would help to keep the top from rattling..........

The tension of the Dzus spring is nothing compaired to the tension of a properly secured standard fastener.

In other words, my top, bolted down, doesn't rattle (even w/o a coating or seal). But my Dzus secured side panels do.

Harvester of Sorrow said:
I am torn on this subject...

I love the open top of my Scout...love being able to take the Bikini off and go full topless. But then I hate the thing for flopping around and being so fragile.

So the solution is to AL skin the top...but then I loose the open tube feeling...

At least my windshield will fold down this year...

I guess I will be AL skinning the the thing...just get it over with.

I do like the idea of bed-lining the underside though...because a couple of "EBP" members have informed me that if you don't do something...it will rattle like a mofo...

Skin it!

It took me a long time to finally get around to doing this to my rig, but now that I have I will never not have one.

:D

Latest posts

Back