• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which tires to buy?

hwcurtice

Okay, I need better tires for the Dakota. Need something with this thing called 'tread' so I can drive without getting stuck in the snow, again... I'm also trying to get a rise out of the Dakota, which means a slightly larger tire. From 30.6 (Stock) up to 32 inches, after the leveling kit was installed.

So, I head to Schwabies to check some tires out, and the size I want, they don't have. Nonetheless, would you put Schwabie tires, Toyo Brand, on your daily driver?

I then went to Goodyear, where DainBamage used to work, and waited for service first. They have some decent tires there for almost $100 less per than Schwabie's has. Would you buy Goodyear tires?

I really want to get something before it snows too much, as in what we got here last year at the end of December.

Thoughts?

Are you running a 15 or 16 inch wheel? If you're running a 16 i'd suggest a Maxxis Bighorn in 235/85-16 (31.7"x9.25"). I've ridden in a rig with them, so no personal driving experience, but they did EXCELLENT in everything he put them through, snow, mud, gravel, loose dirt.

Seem to be pretty reasonably priced and available as well.

Or there is the 255/85-16 (33x10)

I currently run P265/65R17. Factory tires and wheels.

I know I can go to an LT275/70R17. It's about 1 inch taller. I can't fit 33" tires.

32x11.50R15 BFG M/t KM2's No gripes about them so far. But I would recommend some siping if you plan on a majority of icy/snowy weather. :awesomework:

I wouldn't buy anything from Schwab.

Jump on Tire Rack and see what you can find in the size you want.

Schwab can suck my nuts.

If they make the KM2's (X2 on getting the center-sections siped) in your size (275/70R17) Harold, you'll be FAAAAR happier than with your current rubber...:awesomework:

They blow chunks in our type of snow Harold---you'll be way happier with the BFG A/T K/O, or the M/T KM2 in the same size...experience tells me this.:awesomework: I realize they are more expensive, but they will last a long time, and WILL provide good traction in the white stuff, especially when aired down...

They blow chunks in our type of snow Harold---you'll be way happier with the BFG A/T K/O, or the M/T KM2 in the same size...experience tells me this.:awesomework: I realize they are more expensive, but they will last a long time, and WILL provide good traction in the white stuff, especially when aired down...

x2 don't buy a street tire if you are worried about snow

These ones?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ATAKORWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

M/T KM2? Who makes those?

I'm not that worried about 'airing down', driving to work and back gets me from deep snow (4-10'), on pavement, to dry pavement, and back. There isn't much of a chance to fill back up on the way to or from work. The tires need to work great in all situations without having to change their aspect.

Yup, those...or the M/T KM2, also by BFG...What I meant by 'airing down' is, when the road conditions are as you describe, you will more than likely not be going over 50-55 on the dry pavement, and by airing down from say 35, down to 20-25, especially on an E-rated tire, you will likely notice little, if any performance degrading characteristics, while at the same time providing waaaay better traction in the white stuff...kapeesh??... Oh, and have the center section of the tread siped on either one, you won't be disappointed...:awesomework:

Try Discount Tire and Costco too.

I used to have BFG A/T tires that are in post 12. They will last a long time and work well in snow. But they sometimes tended to hydroplane. The water had a hard time exiting the tread blocks.

I'll hit up Discount tomorrow on my way home, as well as Costco.

Their websites do not show the tires in the size I want, but you never know.

I have been running Hankook ATM's for a while and really, really like them. They are the best tire I have ever had on the pavement and have done really well with everything else I have thrown at them.

X2 bfg at's are the goods in the snow!:corn:

first off you dont need a 10 ply tire...if its dakota....if your only driving in the snow and on the pavement.....spend a little money buy something good ....you get what you pay for......I have ran the bfg AT they are a good all around tire .......I have also ran toyo AT's they are also a great tire......also remember if you buy your tires from costco, discount and les schwab they all have great warranties..free flats ,rotates, and other things ,,. I would not recommend buy mail order on tires....and sipe them, if your a easy on the skinny pedal they will not chunk out....... I worked at les schwab for about 6 years....I buy most of my tires from discount now because les schwab are expensive to by BFG tires there ......when I worked for schwab I ran there tires cuz we got them at cost :flipoff:.................hope my rambling helps...

275/70/17 are 32.2/10.8 sized. 33/9.50 is narrower

Which pattern/backspace you running?

Truck is stock, except for the 1.5" leveling kit on front. So standard 17x8 rims. It is just a 5 bolt pattern. I believe they are 5", but don't quote me on that.

Tires were so much easier before they went metric....

Back