• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Who can Bob?

Crash Where Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Paulie said:
Bob beds that is. i just bought a toyota and its bed is alittle long for my taste and im out looking for someone that can bob it and make it clean. Anyone? all i need is it shortened a foot.

My plasma cutter likes to bob beds, but your gonna have to put it back together :redneck:

wentz912 said:
do you do any tades whatsoever? guns, parts, etc etc....

There's nothin to bobb'n beds. I double bobbed mine (was a long bed truck) and pie cut 3.5 inches out above the rear bumper. Not sure where you are located but I could do this for ya. Wud'ya got to trade?

I'm in Kelso, about an hour north of Portland, OR. What do you mean by pie cutting? And what I got depends on what you're looking for lol. I'm jsut short on cash so I try to trade when I can for this kinda stuff.

wentz912 said:
I'm in Kelso, about an hour north of Portland, OR. What do you mean by pie cutting? And what I got depends on what you're looking for lol. I'm jsut short on cash so I try to trade when I can for this kinda stuff.

Pie cutting is just taking a piece out that looks like a piece of pie. If you compare this pic to the back of your bed you can see where I took the 3.5 inches out below the tailgate

a5-1.jpg

I bobbed the bed 16 inches

i like that one. im goona attempt to do mine clean. using a plasma if i can find the place that rents them and mig welding it back. any tips on welding it. keep temp down and wire speed pretty slow and spot weld it. ill be using a 135 mig. small welder. then sand it down and bondo.

Paulie said:
i like that one. im goona attempt to do mine clean. using a plasma if i can find the place that rents them and mig welding it back. any tips on welding it. keep temp down and wire speed pretty slow and spot weld it. ill be using a 135 mig. small welder. then sand it down and bondo.

I'll rent you a plasma cutter if you take super good care of it

definetly. this will be in a shop where its dry. just gonna take my time doing it but ill say, never used one. how much for the day.

Plasma would be fast but messy. You could blow through the back side in the wrong place if your not carefull. I'd use a grinder w/ acut off wheel. It may take a bit longer but its a perfect cut for a better weld and an easier cleanup job. If I was closer I'd do it for ya.

Main concern i have is the inside of the bed on the sides. getting that straight with the bottem is tough. i was thinking of using either a level laser or lines of tape.

Cut the outer first. Then the inner cut in the area your removing. Once you have 2 pieces its easy to cut again to match the outer cut. If you make the cuts offset an inch or two(inside vs. outside) in will add strength like triangulation take your time with the cutting and you'll be alot happier when it goes back together. I've never bobbed a bed before but I've chopped a few tops on street rods. The cleaner you start the better the end result. Lay the whole thing out with tape before you start and double check measurments. remember the bed is taller up at the wheel well than in the back by the tail light.

Also dont do it like they did mine. Dont cut across the floor. figure out the finished length of the floor and leave it intacked then you dont have a weak seem running across the floor lay it all the way to the tail gate. Basically dont cut the structure of the bed only the cosmetics on the out side. Leave as much of thestructure as posible

Last edited:
ToyZuki said:
Cut the outer first. Then the inner cut in the area your removing. Once you have 2 pieces its easy to cut again to match the outer cut. If you make the cuts offset an inch or two(inside vs. outside) in will add strength like triangulation take your time with the cutting and you'll be alot happier when it goes back together. I've never bobbed a bed before but I've chopped a few tops on street rods. The cleaner you start the better the end result. Lay the whole thing out with tape before you start and double check measurments. remember the bed is taller up at the wheel well than in the back by the tail light.
the lower body line in the back im hackin off and building my bumper from under that. i get what your saying, the floor makes sense

ToyZuki said:
Plasma would be fast but messy. You could blow through the back side in the wrong place if your not carefull. I'd use a grinder w/ acut off wheel. It may take a bit longer but its a perfect cut for a better weld and an easier cleanup job. If I was closer I'd do it for ya.

True, i would go get a nice pneumatic cut-off wheel or somthing like that it would be a much cleaner cut

I bobbed one of my Subaru Brats once. Did it cuz the rear corner of the bed was rusted from the guy before me using it to haul salt while he worked at Whistler years back.

I'll definitely get someone else to Bob my Toy if it comes to that.

We were good and drunk by the time we finished, but it turned out OK.
Here's a pic of it before paint and mudflaps.
bobbrat1.jpg

Alright so today i was looking at my bed and i figured i can do the sides easily but maintaining the tailgate im having trouble with. id have to cut the floor either way and weld it back but where it raises and lowers im having second thoughts. how can i get this done right but i want to learn it myself. any pics and links on this.

You lost me. If you figured out the sides th bottom should be easy cut it just in front of the tapered section on the pleats. Leave it attatched to the sides. slide it in. cut off the ecsess flooring. weld back together:cool:

Latest posts

Back