• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wiring (attn: Crash)

I understand about the positive lead overheating and melting out of the battery under overuse but I still connect light amp draw stuff to it. I only have 2 wires coming off the + currently.. :D

You may have only 2 wires---but how many spliices within the system? The examples givin there are no spices--all circuits come off the main junction

I'm assuming I can simply connect my batt cable to a post(junction?) like this and then run all other pos wires to it as well, thus negating the need to run any other wires all the way back to the actual batt?

rome221edit.jpg

Thats typicly how I like to run my setups if I can--or I use something else as a junction..
Now I think I've figured each of these wires, but correct me if I'm wrong on any of them (I've numbered them for ease). The only one I'm not sure of is #4. Does it go directly to the starter or alternator?

rome981edit.jpg

I can see the alt connecting to the starter w/ a smaller gauge wire, but again which does that #4 wire from above pic attach to?

rome741edit.jpg

All main power feeds are run to the junction--except the alt.

The alt wire is ran over to the starter and used as a junction--that way the alt feed is hooked into a 2/0 cable--and no sense in running 4 guage all the way over to the main junction...

For the wiring, how about this? (Not showing the winch wire but figure that'll also go to the post.)

Wiringscheme.jpg

The blue wires are the ones I'm really unsure about how best to route. I like the idea of everything going through the one post. But will I run into certain problems with everything having access to the full batt power? In other words, does that stock unit (mounted on fender) that has numerous + wires going to it actually function to reduce power to any of it's outputs?

:beer:

As binder said--try to keep the main feeds as short as you can--but when you are talkin 2/0 and 4 guage its really not quit that important.

You may have only 2 wires---but how many spliices within the system? The examples givin there are no spices--all circuits come off the main junction

The battery is behind the passenger seat with a 2/0 coming off the + headed to the starter. Off of the starter is a 8 gauge headed to the main fuse box and another 4 gauge audio cable going to a distribution block on the core support for added accessories. The alternator is also tied into the starter lug directly.

The second cable on the batt is a shorty to the solenoid to power the winch. There is a audio 4 gauge headed to the winch off of the solenoid.

Everything is grounded heavily, I learned early on yota's love their grounds so I take NO chances.

Crash you probably burn through more wiring raw materials than anyone else here, where do you order your shrinktube, crimp connectors, ect from?

I use the starter post as a junction stud. It works good if you only have a few add ons but at a point you need a longer stud. Several stock Chevys were wired that way from the factory. In your case you could at least run the alt charge wire to the starter stud and save 1 run of wiring. After all, you wont be using the starter AND have the alternator charging at the same time.

Are you refering to welding wire?

Because 00 is the same as 2/0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

You're correct. I should have written 2G not 2/0. It's been my experience that often 2G is labeled as 2/0.....
"Sizes with multiple zeros are successively larger than No. 0 and can be denoted using "number of zeros/0"
Wire gage is a slang term. There are 9 different gage standards that I know of. This subject just came up at work a couple weeks ago and it can be a big deal. If you want to know for sure what size wire you're working with order it by inch or mm size. ASTM standards if you really want to get into it.
http://mdmetric.com/tech/wiregage.htm

Crash you probably burn through more wiring raw materials than anyone else here, where do you order your shrinktube, crimp connectors, ect from?

I use the starter post as a junction stud. It works good if you only have a few add ons but at a point you need a longer stud. Several stock Chevys were wired that way from the factory. In your case you could at least run the alt charge wire to the starter stud and save 1 run of wiring. After all, you wont be using the starter AND have the alternator charging at the same time.

I usuakky stock enough stuff to wire 2 rigs now :redneck:

Delcity is my main supplier and I use waytek also

You're correct. I should have written 2G not 2/0. It's been my experience that often 2G is labeled as 2/0.....
"Sizes with multiple zeros are successively larger than No. 0 and can be denoted using "number of zeros/0"
Wire gage is a slang term. There are 9 different gage standards that I know of. This subject just came up at work a couple weeks ago and it can be a big deal. If you want to know for sure what size wire you're working with order it by inch or mm size. ASTM standards if you really want to get into it.
http://mdmetric.com/tech/wiregage.htm

Ok--makes sense (like they say--the mind is the second thing to go :redneck: )

Also on the talk of using welding wire vs. automotive--welding wire is small stranded and more pliable--but the prices of it have really jumped....

Proper name is 'Doohickie', but some folks call it a 'Thingamajig'. You can call it a 'Widget'. But I'm going to call it a 'DooThingamaWidget'

Proper name is 'Doohickie', but some folks call it a 'Thingamajig'. You can call it a 'Widget'. But I'm going to call it a 'DooThingamaWidget'

I have them in 3 different flavors :redneck:

Well this has been VERY helpful gentlemen, but what the hell is it ACTUALLY called and where can I GET one :flipoff: :haha::haha::haha:

the mexicans call them chingalelee's.:D

mike gave ya the hint above try del city.

ill take a guess, bulkhead connector?

You can pick them up at most marine stores. They are pretty standard stuff for wiring boats. I got mine at Boaters World in Burlington.

Cable runs and sizes

Hi Guys,

One of the things I do alot of is rewiring on boats. I started using 4/0 welding cable that I get from Builders Hardware on Harbor Island. I've been getting it for under 2 bucks a foot. I then use marine closed end cable lugs. I've also got my own crimming tool. The fine wire of the welding cable is incased in SJO. It doesn't have a lot of voltage drop in it for a 8 to 10 foot run. Connect the winch to the battery on one cable run. then run your other cables from the post block. you'll find that to be your least promblematic way of doing it. Make SURE to protect your cables from rubbing, I've used the extra heavy heat shrink in areas where the cabel could rub on something. I also make sure to us anti ox compound when making up my cable ends. And then use the heat shrink to seal the cable lug to the cable.

John