• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project - 38 Special

I am very impressed with the quality of my Robbie Gordon wheels. They cost the same as Walkers and are different. They are 15# lighter each but that may not be a good thing in the end. TIme will tell.

wngrog said:
I am very impressed with the quality of my Robbie Gordon wheels. They cost the same as Walkers and are different. They are 15# lighter each but that may not be a good thing in the end. TIme will tell.

Those wheels of your's are seriously my favorite wheels ever. 8) The only other rig I've seen 'em on was that black XRRA s10.

John, I like the TR too. The ones matt o put on his jeep before he got rid of it. as for the box you could always rent other...

Speeding said:
Those wheels of your's are seriously my favorite wheels ever. 8) The only other rig I've seen 'em on was that black XRRA s10.

I mounted 2 of the Robbie Gordon's yesterday. BOTH took me 17 minutes to mount. These are the easiest wheels I have ever seen to mount. The machining is perfect. They have the lips on the rings that allow you to snug down the rings to the wheel and know when they are tight, just like Walkers. Twisted Customs is a dealer for them.....$325 each.

I would have bought the RGs for mine if I would have known where to get them and how much. I couldn't find any current info on them when I was in the market.

Yeah, I had to do some digging and when I went to buy, they wanted me to use a dealer (robbiegordonoffroad.com has them listed at $375 plus shipping.

So Brian called and set TC up as a dealer. The wheels are nice. I am impressed. Like I said before, they are lighter by 15# than the Walkers so that may translate into weakness....we will see. Robbie races on them so they must be tough.

Note from Adam:

"The Jeep is in the Lift room being torn down. I did get a video of it running before we disabled the engine though. We are on our way with project 38 special !!!!"

:eat: :popcorn: :spin:

thumb.gif Have you scrounged up all the sheet-metal to do this thing John ?

Is it going to have a full cab and front clip'esque fenders ? You've mentioned your intent on the hood but Im just curious as to justhow much 38 appearance it will have.

I love the concept obviously i love old sheetmetal ! drool

P said:
thumb.gif Have you scrounged up all the sheet-metal to do this thing John ?

Is it going to have a full cab and front clip'esque fenders ? You've mentioned your intent on the hood but Im just curious as to justhow much 38 appearance it will have.

I love the concept obviously i love old sheetmetal ! drool

Will use roll tubing for the fender, running board lines. We will be using the hood, grill, hood sides, headlights, taillights, tailgate, glove box door, and metal trim parts. Adam and I both have a Danbury Mint model, so we can keep the focus on the lines and look.

Email from Adam:

----------

I will print the bed layout and save it for a guide when that starts. I like all of the ideas you are giving me on this build keep them coming.

Wheels and tires are off as well as the whole jeep is apart and the axles are cleaned up and ready to start back with on the build. I will send you some pics first of this week so you can start posting them in your build thread as well as in the classified sections.

John,
You are really going to enjoy working with Adam and his crew. I can't wait to see this thing. It will be such a unique rig and the with Adam's attention to detail it wil surely be magazine material and may end up being a legenday 4x4! Keep us posted. thumb.gif

P.S. I may be intrested in one of those 44" tires if you split them up. It would be nice to have a spare. ;D

Engine is ordered:

Mast Motorsports LY6 HO

480 HP
454 Torque

09special.jpg

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1060261-mast-motorsports-ly6-ho-vvt-2009-special.html

Matt O. said:
That's a lot of cash for a 6.0.  Looks cool though

Man this is not your run of the mill regular old 6.0!

It is the same engine that is in my buggy except for this one has a steel block.

I will give you guys a run down of the benefits on these engines and MAST Motor sports. First off the engine has what is called variable valve timing (VVT). Why dose that interest you as an off roader??? Because this means that you have the perfect power band all of the time. You can have a big nasty cam sound that has the drivability of a stock engine. The cam actually advances through the RPM range to make the the cam that has the benefits of two different cam shafts.

Then next thing about these engines is the heads. They are the GM L92  heads. Huge flow numbers that will out perform any other head on a stock LS engine. Big square port intake ports lets every thing in and the big vales let it on out. To give some of you guys perspective of just how good these heads are the ones on the UBKON and Lance Greens Jeep are both aftermarket CNC'd items and they still don't flow as much as these stock heads.

You may be wondering why have you ever head of these engines before. It is simple because it is cutting edge new. These engines have only been available for two years now and the only company out there with a stand alone system is MAST Motor sports. Don't just think you are going to grab one of these engines out of a vehicle and get any one to cut it down and flash the computer just yet. I'm sure that will come but its not available yet. Also when you want to upgrade the cam shaft the tuning for these engines is touchy with the use of the VVT.

So who is Mast Motor sports. For you guys that will understand they are the Spidertrax of the turn key engine world. They are a group of guys that met in College. They were in school getting their engineering degrees and decide that when they graduated they would jump on the Gen 4 Chevy engines right out of the gate. They are one of the best group of guys to work with that have really pour a lot of research and development in to their products.

The base of their system is the M90 Computer. The unit runs the engine and also comes with a data port and soft ware that hooks to your computer. This system comes fully tuned but if you decide to add something to the engine like a stroker crank a turbo, etc. you already have all of the tuning soft ware that you need. Their harness is made from high quality wire, heat sheilding where it needs to be, the total package of quality. 

We have installed many diffrent engines and systems into off road vehicles. This is the best one yet!!!! It fires up every time. There was no time wasted on the dyno waiting on some one to tune it. The response is good and smooth and did I mentin that this thing will flat out GET IT.

I really wanted to see John with this engine. I think he will be proud of his decision when the buggy comes together and he is peeling out !!!