• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need some help with my 4.3 CPI

Varied between 9-10"HG

There's a calculation in the GM pid values that determines whether the MAP pid value is correct...something like MAP + actual vacuum=BARO....or something like that----Mike, you remember this? I'd have to dig deep in my memory, or mess around with scanner hooked to a GM vehicle for the 'light' to come on!:redneck::haha:

I'm heading down to the shop to attempt putting back together my mower's carb! :redneck:
Will check it later and report...:awesomework:

What made you think of that? I guess it could have a bad ground but I've never seen that before.

A poor ground to the dist will make it not run or screwey timing......
I've watched about 3/4 of he file you sent and something is way off. Either the DM is not working correctly which could happen if it thinks you have a different computer than you actually have but typically the checksum would light red for something like that....Either that or wires crossed, wires loose, chip not inserted completely, etc.
Notice on the first section the charcoal canister purge is on 100% until the engine nearly dies then is on nearly all of the time after that. It worked correctly last night...Then after you set the timing by ear the timing went crazy. Just before this the short term fuel counts went as low as 89 which I don't think is even possible. I've never seen a bin that would allow the count go below 108 (it has set limits). I wish I could find a bin file to verify this though......
Anyways by just looking at the numbers on the screen it looks like it's doing things which I don't think it physically can.........:eeek:
See what Kevin thinks.....

Hey Chad. It occured to me while I was reading your E mail that you may need to put a ground strap on your distributor.

Never seen that. I would suggest cleaning the base where the slamp sits and the area where the slap sits against the intake..

But on any HEI dist I have seen(new style) once the ground is lost for the module you loose all spark/injection pulse.

STFT can go as low as 80 believe it or not :D...at that point LTFT would be down at or near 100...the motor is running (or it thinks its running) EXTREMELY rich, and is leaning it to the max to try and compensate for the rich condition....I have seen it, but the motor is pissed at that point. Going to check my email now...brb....:;

A poor ground to the dist will make it not run or screwey timing......
I've watched about 3/4 of he file you sent and something is way off. Either the DM is not working correctly which could happen if it thinks you have a different computer than you actually have but typically the checksum would light red for something like that....Either that or wires crossed, wires loose, chip not inserted completely, etc.
Notice on the first section the charcoal canister purge is on 100% until the engine nearly dies then is on nearly all of the time after that. It worked correctly last night...Then after you set the timing by ear the timing went crazy. Just before this the short term fuel counts went as low as 89 which I don't think is even possible. I've never seen a bin that would allow the count go below 108 (it has set limits). I wish I could find a bin file to verify this though......
Anyways by just looking at the numbers on the screen it looks like it's doing things which I don't think it physically can.........:eeek:
See what Kevin thinks.....

Timing is solely controlled by the ecm unless its in bypass (in which case you will get the 42). One thing I have noticed by experience timing bouncing around can just be an aftereffect of the ecm trying to keep the engine running. If you want to rule timing out of it just keep it in bypass.

Timing is solely controlled by the ecm unless its in bypass (in which case you will get the 42). One thing I have noticed by experience timing bouncing around can just be an aftereffect of the ecm trying to keep the engine running. If you want to rule timing out of it just keep it in bypass.

But it's not just bouncing around at idle it does it at all RPM's....What's more important though is the inconsistancy of how it acts. It acted fairly normal though a bit on the over advanced side for quite some time until he manually moved the timing then it went crazy.....It still acts crazy even with the bypass open.

But it's not just bouncing around at idle it does it at all RPM's....What's more important though is the inconsistancy of how it acts. It acted fairly normal though a bit on the over advanced side for quite some time until he manually moved the timing then it went crazy.....It still acts crazy even with the bypass open.

I am wondering on the actual data then if its "true" data. All my experiance has taught me that when in bypass the ecm has zero control of timing because it uses the est line to control the ignition module (because the module is what controls timing in the end). So you may see timing control on the data but in fact its not actually changing at the dist.

My comp is not set up to open a .uni file!:mad:
Filecure wants me to register to finish downloading the fix....is there another way to do this?:corn:

I am wondering on the actual data then if its "true" data. All my experiance has taught me that when in bypass the ecm has zero control of timing because it uses the est line to control the ignition module (because the module is what controls timing in the end). So you may see timing control on the data but in fact its not actually changing at the dist.

Yeah, you didn't get some of the info. I sent Rick and Kevin a email. The timing advance goes batshit crazy on Datamaster when I retard the timing to about -12deg. It runs pretty good and will finally idle but does smell way rich. I checked it with a light and the timing was erratic between -14 and +4 but the computer showed 0-28deg bounce. I unplugged the ESC and rechecked. The Advance on the computer was still very wild around -2 to 28deg but when checked with a light sat steady at -12deg.

Before I retarded the timing it wouldn't idle at all but the timing was steady at 30-31deg 1250rpm, no load, 10"map, 2% tps.

Back