• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

spools

I've had my rear end welded (same as a spool) for a few years now and have no complaints even in a SWB rig except that it takes some getting used to in snow and ice. Yup - works all the time and doesn't make any noise except squealing tires in parking lots.

I had an autolocker in the rear before (I swapped it into the front) and did not like the way it occasionally ratcheted on the highway. With a longer wheelbase, it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal, but on my Cruiser it scared me a couple times. The spool/welded diff is invisible on the highway.

My last two cars had full spools, the next one is gonna have a Detroit.In certain suspension scenarios the spool introduced an odd "quirk" that I think the Detroit will do away with.If it doesn't,or gives me any trouble, I'll switch back to a spool.

i've loved my welded rearend for the last 6 to 7 years. wouldn't trade except for a spool. which is going into my toyota. always predictable.

well its never going to be driven on the street... gonna spool the rear but i really do'nt want to do the front but with all the other money im spending to get this thing wheelin i do'nt have money for a arb or detriot so any one wheel with a spool front without hydro?

Yeah, spooling or welding the rear is fine, but put an auto locker or selectable up front or you're going to hate life with just power steering and no hydro assist. Even with hydro assist or full hydro, it's still going to want to just go straight instead of turning.

I have not ran anything but a welded/spool in the rear Detroit in the front though. I have nothing bad to say about the setup.:D