• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tow rig rubber

crash said:
I am not big into knowing street tire stuff but who makes the toyo's?

Dude you know toyo mt's they are the same tire that wildman is running on his jeep. Get good reviews about everything but I just don't know about a mud tire as a long range towing tire. The mud terrains that are on my dodge are about wore out after 8 months and 20k miles! My next set of tires I want the longest lasting road tire I can get, especially with plans to go to the hammers, 'con, lk shasta, etc. next summer!

So, to expand on Crashy's question for myself. What is the longest wearing tire y'all have seen for a tow rig? Anybody heard bout maxxis? I have maxis trailer tires and they look great after all the towing this year, even being run low on pressure on one occasion!

Jeepasaurusrex said:
I just picked up a set of Toyo M55s... Damn good tires. Love the ride. Good tread. :redneck:

I heard & read that these tires are the way to go. My neighbor has them & has a trucking company & that is what he runs on all his trucks.

I don't like my 285 75 16 BFG AT for towing. To soft & I had a blow out the first time I towed my camper & trailer.

SO the m55 states to be M & S rated---what the hell does that mean?

And I have to agree brad--I want a tire thats going to last...

crash said:
SO the m55 states to be M & S rated---what the hell does that mean?

And I have to agree brad--I want a tire thats going to last...

(mud and snow)

Yeah, since we're gonna be chasing each other all over the west coast it would seem we need some tires that will do some miles!

The toyo m54 looks pretty good also, I really don't care about how well the tire handles mud and off highway, if the terrain is gnarly enough that I can't get through just using 4wd I probably don't want to take my trailer in there anyway and might as well park and pull out the truggy! I just don't want to have to put 6 tires on the tow rig every year! I already put new tires on the truggy every year!

Trailtoy1993 said:
The toyo m54 looks pretty good also, I really don't care about how well the tire handles mud and off highway, if the terrain is gnarly enough that I can't get through just using 4wd I probably don't want to take my trailer in there anyway and might as well park and pull out the truggy! I just don't want to have to put 6 tires on the tow rig every year! I already put new tires on the truggy every year!

I am in the exact same boat..

Not that kelly has paid me or will pay me but when the tard does pay me---As brad says----whats a good tire that doesn't have agressive tread?

everyone on the bomber board that tows a lot.. Likes the M55. I just steer away from them because I like a more aggressive tread. Unless you have a 2wd dually. I don't think there's really a better tire for these trucks.

Lucky Jeff said:
everyone on the bomber board that tows a lot.. Likes the M55. I just steer away from them because I like a more aggressive tread. Unless you have a 2wd dually. I don't think there's really a better tire for these trucks.

See thats where I sit though---I don't need a REAL agressive tire--thats what I got the rig that I bought this rig is for :redneck:

well then I'd say the M55 is the perfect tire for you.. rated way up there. and tough tires for say, logging roads and such to bring you to the trail head.

yes the Toyo M55 is also a great tire. We sell alot of those to guys with heavier trucks and that do alot of towing. They seem to get pretty good mileage too. If your just looking for a highway tire that is the way to go. If you want something a little more aggressive but still a good milage tire go with the Toyo M/T

If I'm remembering correctly, I'm currently running E rated Michelin LTX M/S. I have no complaints so far for on road characteristics or traction, but I have chunked em quite a bit from driving/drifting on forrest service roads while camping :whistling: Moreso than I would think should happen...

ltx_m_s.jpg

Michelin LTX M/S.

I had those tires on my truck when I first got it & they wern't very good in the snow

the company i work for uses the Toyo m55 on all there trucks, 1 ton and under. drilling comany so the trucks tend to travel off the beaten path(job site). anyway thought id chime in

crash said:
See thats where I sit though---I don't need a REAL agressive tire--thats what I got the rig that I bought this rig is for :redneck:

EXACTLY!:D I will put well over 20K on the dually in the next year, going to the hammers and the con and lk shasta all towing and half with the camper on, too. Need high mileage tire, the rig I'm towing needs the aggressive tread not the tow rig!:redneck:

You want an E load rated tire. ALso look for the higher pound load rating. ANy tire that has good mileage on the road will essentialy suck off road...but thats why you have a wheeler and dedicated tow rig. I had 285 cooper durango A/Ts which actually lasted 50,000 miles. They worked fine but were D load rated and too wide for the stock rims. This translated to a little bit of squirmy feeling on the highway occasionally. I just swapped on some firestone steeltex 265s which are E load rated (stock superduty) and will work alot better. My tow rig is not an offroad rig...that's what my wheeler is for.

Sounds like a good choice, Crash. Reasonable compromise between tread life and traction.

The thing that bugs me about Toyo is that Les Schwab is the only "authorized" retailer for them around here, and they refuse to negotiate or make any deals on their high prices. Found away around that, though, and paid $225 a piece for my Open Country M/Ts from another local source. :D

Latest posts

Back