• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tundra

If you want to haul something, **** gas engines. I've made that mistake for years and I'm diesel 4 lyfe now. 01 F250 7.3L turbo here. I can buy two of those trucks for the price of a new top shelf Tundra. I've been pimpin' Toyotas all my life up until now. Some arenas Toyota just has no competition in. That arena is 3/4 - 1 ton diesel trucks.

mthompson223 said:
If you want to haul something, **** gas engines. I've made that mistake for years and I'm diesel 4 lyfe now. 01 F250 7.3L turbo here. I can buy two of those trucks for the price of a new top shelf Tundra. I've been pimpin' Toyotas all my life up until now. Some arenas Toyota just has no competition in. That arena is 3/4 - 1 ton diesel trucks.

Preach it brotha! :D

Seriously, when Toyota and Nissan and the others come out with a serious 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck, they'll give Dodge/Ford/Chevy a run for their money. Until then, they're just glorified 1/2 tons.

they are an underrated 1/2 ton truck. 10.5" ring gear, 13.9" front brakes. got off topic though, this thread is about the opinion of the new tundra, not how much better your powerstoke is.

TTF Fabrication said:
they are an underrated 1/2 ton truck. 10.5" ring gear, 13.9" front brakes. got off topic though, this thread is about the opinion of the new tundra, not how much better your powerstoke is.
no, the fact is. For the price, you can do better.

TTF Fabrication said:

You definetly have a point, Ford F250 diesels also only have a 10.5" ring gear. The brakes are bigger than the Ford in 01 and the Toyota prob. has more power too.:haha:

Fullywrecked said:
You definetly have a point, Ford F250 diesels also only have a 10.5" ring gear. The brakes are bigger than the Ford in 01 and the Toyota prob. has more power too.:haha:
oh quiet you dead Dodge owner :flipoff: :haha:

my opinion on the looks is well....:kissmyass: . for a 1/2 ton they have stepped up there r&p and front brakes. ill be curious to see what the engine puts out at the wheels, and how well it does tow. for what it is it may fit peoples needs. i may not need my diesel, but i love it.

well, they are claiming 381/401 at the flywheel. they are also claiming a 14.8 quarter mile. and i understand the point of well this truck costs $40k and i can get a fully loaded cummins for $40k but its all about what you want and need in a vehicle. you can pick up a land rover for a gawd awful amount of money, but a dodge diesel is much cheaper, so why not go with that? because it is not the vehicle that fits that person. even though a diesel and this new tundra are the same price, for someone who isnt going to use the diesel to its full potential it might not be worth it to them to do that maintenance on them, and pay the fuel on them. oil changes, brakes, clutches, etc. are way more expensive. so if you're hauling over $10k pounds on a regular basis then diesel hands down, but if not...well i shouldnt say gas because diesel are just bad ass. i shouldnt be talking, im going to spend $1k every 20K miles on 4l60E's so that compensates for the maintenance of a diesel.

TTF Fabrication said:
even though a diesel and this new tundra are the same price, for someone who isnt going to use the diesel to its full potential it might not be worth it to them to do that maintenance on them
The point is that for the same amount of money you can get a truck that will out pull, out live, out gas mileage, much more heavy duty, and will be more of a truck than your average guy will ever need. For the same price, why not get more? Also when you start out at the same price the maintenence thing is of no relevece as it is a wash, as diesel trucks of today are not high maintence needing only and occasional oil change. The only thing a gasser saves in is slightly cheaper fuel, BUT most manufactures build cars these days to run specifically on super unleaded which is not that much cheaper. Mileage between them offsets that. And lastly you dont need to use a diesel to its full potential to see all the advantages that make it a far better truck at the same price. 1/2 ton light duty vs 3/4 ton heavy duty says it all. Not trying to get into a pissing match, so please dont take it that way.:;

I've put $1450 into my 01 F250 7.3L in the form of a chip, intake, and exhaust. According to dynos of people running similar mods, my oil burner puts down 640-650 lb.ft. of torque at the wheels (stock is 405 lb.ft. at the wheels) while still getting 21 mpg on the highway with no load. If I put $1450 into a gas engine I'd get about 25 lb.ft. and lose fuel mileage... PASS.

Damn, and all I asked was for people's opinions on one truck model....

If I was looking for fuel economy, I would go diesel. Except that diesel runs more per gallon at this time. And biodiesel is even more. Sort of cancels the benefits.

What I am looking for is to make my Yota a trail rig only, while keeping it street legal. So I need a rig that I can use for the things I bought the Yota for. Hauling stuff and geting me to work and back. So it needs to be both economical, and capable of hauling stuff around, even some light towing from time to time. The Tundra looks like it can do both, the hauling and light towing, except it isn't the most economical truck on the road. Smaller trucks won't cut it for what I need. Nuzzy's 1 ton is too much.

Somewhere there is the right combination of economy and hauling strength.

hwcurtice said:
Except that diesel runs more per gallon at this time. And biodiesel is even more. Sort of cancels the benefits.

Not really since diesel costs 15-20% more per gallon than 87 octane, but a diesel trucks gets damn near twice the mileage as similarly equiped gasser...

hwcurtice said:
:wtf: is a 'CTD'?

Cummins Turbo Diesel

Nuzzy said:
Not really since diesel costs 15-20% more per gallon than 87 octane, but a diesel trucks gets damn near twice the mileage as similarly equiped gasser...

Cummins Turbo Diesel

So what do you get with your 1 ton?

hwcurtice said:
So what do you get with your 1 ton?

16 mpg when I sit in traffic every day and don't go over 40 miles an hour. 20-21 when it's all highway road trip. I have 4.10 gears though too.

My 96 V10 Dodge 1 ton got 8-11mpg depending on city/highway.

I know a number of people get mid 20s with their non dually diesels (especially 2wd ones). Sadly my 6 tires offer a bit more rolling resistence :redneck:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back