• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

WE Rock Dayton, TN 7/12-7/13

I stayed for the shootout saturday night. First time I have seen the portals up close. Didnt stay for the podiums. Guessing the guy that ran first in the unlimited shootout won. He was getting it done for sure. Anyone know the specs on the rigs that were in the shootout?
Just curious what engine/trans they were running.
Are they geared way to low to actually trail ride a rig like that? Looked they would climb most anything but may take a while to get from hill to hill.

I stayed for the shootout saturday night. First time I have seen the portals up close. Didnt stay for the podiums. Guessing the guy that ran first in the unlimited shootout won. He was getting it done for sure. Anyone know the specs on the rigs that were in the shootout?
Are they geared way to low to actually trail ride a rig like that? Looked they would climb most anything but may take a while to get from hill to hill.

The guy that ran third in the shootout won in the unlimted class. I cant remember his name but Jesse Hanes was spotting for him. The dude that showed out was the guy that ran in the trail car class. He did lines all weekend that the unlimited guys couldnt. A lot of the cars were Jesse Hanes chassis. Not sure on the specs on the motors and all that but most had turbos and a couple had super chargers.

LS power
Most are powered by GM ecotec motors. Great little motors: really good power to weight ratio and easy to package

Those cars are also running portal axles which have additional gear reduction in the "hubs". A normal trail car has gear reduction in the transmission, transfer case, and differential; these have all of that plus something like 1.8:1 in the "hub" as well (portal gearbox). Plenty of people trail wheel them, you just have to use higher gears to overcome the additional gearing. Since these hills are all close together most people dont take time to shift running from one course to the other.

The guy that ran third in the shootout won in the unlimted class. I cant remember his name but Jesse Hanes was spotting for him. The dude that showed out was the guy that ran in the trail car class. He did lines all weekend that the unlimited guys couldnt. A lot of the cars were Jesse Hanes chassis. Not sure on the specs on the motors and all that but most had turbos and a couple had super chargers.
Jesse spotted for the Melchner's again (Big Charlie and Little Charlie). Brett Dickey (the Pro Trail car that crushed the shootout) had his dad spotting him.

This is the second comp that Jesse has flown out to spot for them. Crazy...

LS power

Most are powered by GM ecotec motors. Great little motors: really good power to weight ratio and easy to package

Those cars are also running portal axles which have additional gear reduction in the "hubs". A normal trail car has gear reduction in the transmission, transfer case, and differential; these have all of that plus something like 1.8:1 in the "hub" as well (portal gearbox). Plenty of people trail wheel them, you just have to use higher gears to overcome the additional gearing. Since these hills are all close together most people dont take time to shift running from one course to the other.
I run portals on my x3. The gear reduction is great for crawling. There is a lot of leverage on my sxs portals. I keep waiting for a ball joint to rip out. Lol
I liked the way the inner C's on the JH portal axles give it support across the entire portal gear box. Really nice setup.

Back