• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

With a Man-Made Site... What do you want to see?

would this be something that someone could pay to wheel at year round or just for comps it would be cool to see the hot tubs there

No matter what you do, there is no way to replicate the PNW West side. People come here from all over the world and get thier ass kicked. It's a totally different type of wheelin from anywhere else.

I would love to see you do, The Box from the Con, also outer limits and back door from the hammers, and also a nice V rock (wedge) that for the most part most rigs would have to winch/drag thier rig through and make it about 15' to 20' long.

that would be a good start

Sink a couple of good sized logs/tree trucks horizontally in the 'crete. Laying on their sides, slightly under cut, at the top of climbs, in the middle etc.

Then hit them with the hose/sprinkler for a few days before the comp and between each run... nice and slick. Couple of stumps and root balls at random places that you have to drive over/pivot on, high-center on are always a surprise for dry-rock guys.

Standing water (or even an active water-fall/stream would be pretty cool), toss a little dirt in there and make a little mud (to track on the obstacles) would be interesting, but that would make a mess of the course and the competitors, and that may not be the best.

Just some thoughts that came to mind. I'll have to look at some of your other courses and see what you've done.

If possibly, making it look as natural as possible is just plain cool, but takes more time and money. You need to get some of the Disney rock/designers on your staff... some of the **** they do is friggen amazing and very realistic.

As a change of subject... approximately how much area would be required to make a decent comp course/site. I know the current Goldendale site is both pretty big and at the same time small and cramped. What kind of acreage (assuming some small, natural hills) would it take to put something together worth a darn??
________
Box Vaporizers

Last edited:
We can fit everything (Course Wise) into an area smaller than a football field. The Texas Site is exactly the size of a football field. The largest area we have used is about 5 acres with Columbus, Ohio. You may remember that one as the course with the big ass tube everyone had to turn around inside.

aaj.jpg

Anyway, we can make it look like whatever people want, even color the rock so that it gives a more natural feel. The easiest way to build a course is into a hill. You have little to no fill dirt that has to be brought in and packed down, and it creates a great spectator feel due to its more arena type atmosphere. That was the idea with the Texas Site, create a venue where a spectator can sit down and see everything happening from any seat in the house.

wc_5.jpg

06wc_header.jpg

wc_7.jpg

wc_6.jpg

The Disney site creators are amazing, no doubt. What is funny is that all of those rocks are no thicker than 1/2 inch and structured with chicken wire mesh (Really flimsy) some small amounts of rebar (under the wire mesh), and newspaper. Then Crete is sprayed on top of it. It's a cool process and each inch is then hand molded to look as natural as possible.

I would have to look into the logs, and am worried about breaking and then becoming a hazard inside the course. Maybe a type of creasote dipped log or something. I will have to do a little research.
________
portable vaporizer

Last edited:
I agree with making the course reflect local wheeling because not everyone participating is from the NW. Why go to a west coast comp in Wa thats the same thing you can find in Utah, Nevada, NM or Cali. The course should reflect the Statewide wheeling scene. So that others who visit this area from across the country to compete or recreate see what NW wheeling is all about :cheer:

Stumps, Logs, Roots, water crossings before a Climb. Dirt and Sand covered Rocks. make it like the NW Rich :;

I had some pic's at home but the first obstacle on sac-up, short climb up a stump on the left that pitches your windshield into a tree on the right then a tight turn with an under cut log then put in some roots at tire bead level to cut the side wall. But you need to add a sprinkler system so the obstacle stays wet and muddy.

I think a really big part of NW wheeling is the fact that you need to watch your lid getting hung up on trees and such.

I had some pic's at home but the first obstacle on sac-up, short climb up a stump on the left that pitches your windshield into a tree on the right then a tight turn with an under cut log then put in some roots at tire bead level to cut the side wall. But you need to add a sprinkler system so the obstacle stays wet and muddy.

I think a really big part of NW wheeling is the fact that you need to watch your lid getting hung up on trees and such.
They had that at last years G-dale.... well, many folks make it into that :D

LR, if you since a 12-24" log in the crete it ain't going to break off... not is a couple years.

A cedar would be perfect. Slippery as hell when nice and wet, and takes a long time (years) to rot out to the point were it would break.

Couple vertical ones would be cool too, but moon buggies would just flat-foot it around them.... cool to watch though.

I'm surprised at the football field size.. I would have thought it would be bigger, but I guess its what you have to work with, and how you structure it.

Compared to a typical 'other' site. Are the G-dale courses typically long? Short? or average?

:beer:
________
Threesome Bikini

Last edited:
G-dale is about average, It has short, long, and mid-sized courses. The main difference is the elevation changes. The tallest climb in G-dale is maybe 15 feet off the ground, elsewhere it gets taller. The other thing G-dale makes is loose terrain that constantly changes. I am not a big fan of this as with many competitors...
________
GS500F

Last edited:
Here is a shot of "The Crack" that was mentioned...

DSCN3022.jpg

Some other random shots from up at the Funny Rocks / Moon Rocks so you have an idea...

DSCN3021.jpg

DSCN3010.jpg

DSCN3008.jpg

DSCN3002.jpg

random_people_at_rocks_1.jpg

random_people_at_rocks.jpg

westside flav

you could sink telephone poles or pilings staggered at about 7-8' apart to replicate some elbe hills action! tight and technical punish some of the mondo wheelbase guys lol

I would like to see a bowl just a bit bigger than a typical rig and 10-12' deep.

Like to hottubs down at Moab.

What do you want to see?

I ask this based on you giving me some photos so that I can build proportionately. Please give me why you want to see it and what makes the terrain so difficult. With this site there will be room for everything from Stock type vehicles to Moon Buggies. We would like to get your ideas so this would be a site that you would not only want to wheel, but a site that you would want to watch some crazy wheeling as well.
here's a sampler from local trails.

Sack-up at Reiter:

SUNP0120-1.jpg

SUNP0012.jpg

SUNP0005.jpg

Elbe Busy Wild:
SUNP0025-2.jpg

SUNP0010-1.jpg

SUNP0013-1.jpg

100_0783Small.jpg

SUNP0095.jpg

Picture055.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Picture099.jpg

Off camber climbs over 10 feet tall, two stage climbs (climb up face, then immediately forcing the driver to slide/burn to the left or right for second part of climb), bowls/hot tubs, cracks (like pics above), steep descents that require a hand stand, throttle out and/or an immediate climb afterwards, steep faces that require momentum up, across and down (like surfing a wave), spines (large, elongated, protruding obstacles that require dragging the diff/axle tube), any line that requires using the inner sidewall of tire to stay on the top/on the line, tight off camber squeezes/huge v-notches.

:D

Last edited:
The Reiter trails are sweet... but the whole point is that is is called a "rock crawl" ... not a tree crawl, not a mud bog, not a "hey Billy Bob, lets re-create an existing trail at the airport"... :wtf:

It is called WE-ROCK for a reason.... ROCK. Enough Said. :beer:

Latest posts

Back