• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Kelly Builds Wyatt a Shaved & Narrowed 14b Rear

Re: Kelly gives wyatt's rear end an overhaul

I'm just giving kelly and you guys a hard time.

I'm adding up all the **** I need to do an upgrade on the yota but I'm there's few things holdin me back - labor price is one that I don't have a solid number for and I understand that it's hard to give a price on labor and I know that **** is hard work (why I don't want to do it). Figure I bug him enough I'll get a solid price we're both happy with but from the sounds of it Kelly's got his hands full anyway

I really, really like the nimbleness of the small toyota. I can go places I think a fullwidth on 42 toyota can't - Rob that's a challenge - get your **** done and lets find out. I'm sure there's places the 42's can go that I can't but it's a thrill to beat a bigger rig just once

a 14bolt is the cheap rear end option but I'd like it 61" and shaved - the narrowing appears EXPENSIVE and a pain in the ass for 2.5" over a cab and chassis. So I'm holding out for one of those or a SRW with DRW hubs?

In the mean time I'm wasting my time building an new yota front - new housing, 5th stud, new seals etc

I think he will be able to price accordingly after he does mine. The 1st is always trial and error.

glad your the guinea pig but I wouldn't want to do that stuff twice, put in work Kelly thumb.gif

I'll be inspecting it close in Hannibal

rockwild said:
I'll be inspecting it close in Hannibal
You know thats right, cause you'll be behind me all day!!! :flipoff1:

no good price yet. 2 short side shafts puts it 3" off center. no biggie. the narroing isn't a big deal with a good lathe and tooling, and the alignment pucks I was making when the key fell out of the motor shaft on the lathe. I'm going to quit working 13 hours for my boss on saturday (unitl monday) and then get back on the rear end. just ****ing busy and 2 of the 5 employees quit today, so I'm going to be busier

I'm no hurry

Wyatt laughing1 - don't overdrive and take yourself out :flipoff1:

okay, so I am thinking while putting this together that most of the time people shave these flat on the bottom. flat in 2 ways. first I mean flat side to side(except ericDlux), meaning no broken plate. secondly I mean they set the thing up on saw horses and set the pinion flat and chop the bottom off, or another way to look at it is they cut is perpendicular to the cover plane. the problem with this is you normally have quite a bit of pinion up angle to keep the shaft out of the rocks. this means your flat bottom plate should be at 10+ degrees from perp to the rear cover plane. this poses a problem if you tilt it up behind the rear arc of the ring gear and give it .125" or less of clearance......you can't get the carrier out. the reason is that you have created a blockage. think of it this way. the carrier bearing cap flats are parallel to the rear cover flange. the carrier is made to come straight back and out. if you set a plate on the bottom of the ring at the lowest point below the carrier bearing land, and then tilt it up at 10 or more degrees, you have just welded a stop that doesn't let the carrier out. luckily, I think of **** like this first. here is me looking at angles that I can cut and slope the carrier up so the ring touches the top of the case and rubs the bottom coming out.
100_2362.jpg

100_2363.jpg

how much I think I can cut
100_2365.jpg

100_2364.jpg

100_2366.jpg

100_2367.jpg

my wife running a wire wheel the same time I'm working. I love it. she's not the type that grew up around this or is into this ****, too good and might break a nail, but I've been extra sexy in bed lately, so she consents to the work (or she finally sees that I'm serious when I say the only way she'll see me is if she comes to the shop and works with me)
100_2361.jpg

anyway, here is the scalping
100_2372.jpg

100_2374.jpg

I mapped it out in CAD for a mock up plate and then burned it in 1/4" to mock with
100_2375.jpg

because putting a 3/8" bolt in a piece of 3/8" plate is hard because the thread hang out, so I have put a piece of 1/2 at the back of rob's and wyatts, shaved if to clear the ring gear and kept it as low as the 3/8 that the rest of it is plated with
100_2376.jpg

100_2377.jpg

100_2378.jpg

100_2379.jpg

100_2380.jpg

to get the bolt threads a little more room I welded on some material and then drilled and tapped for the cover bolts.
100_2381.jpg

100_2382.jpg

100_2383.jpg

so after tacking the strip of 1/2" pic'd above in I did the removal drill to try to make sure there was clearance. it was a bit tight, so I clearanced with a die grinder and took it out. after that, to ease future removal and installation I clearanced the top of the case for some breathing room.
100_2385.jpg

after that I started preheating, welding and wire wheeling, repeat. after that I ground the **** out of it and then zircon wheeled it for slickiness.
100_2387.jpg

100_2388.jpg

100_2389.jpg

100_2390.jpg

at the lowest point I am at 5 5/16" from absolute center without any grinding of the 1/2" plate (it can use a shave job)
100_2391.jpg

this is a 1/4" HD diff cover that is shy of the stock housing and this is what I saved over THAT!
100_2392.jpg

over 1.5" and slick as hell.
I really want to measure a 60 now to see what clearance it has from center to lowest point. 5.3125" at low seems good, although if I had shaved the ring gear farther I could have gone deeper by a 1/16" or more. wasn't worth the strength trade off IMO

Damn Kelly that is looking good! I wish i was there already. get that chit knocked out fast.

That is cool 'chell came and worked with ya. What on earth is she wirewheeling? A feeder, grain hopper?

awesome!

14bolts are the way to go now

Nicely done. That's one of the best 14 bolt shave jobs I've seen.

Nicely done Kelly... looks super clean and pimp !! I love it ! :eat:

Wyatt's ass should be awake and mid axle swap by now... were the F the pics.

I shot Kelly a PM this morning around 5:45 just to check it out laughing1 I know he is working this week so they are really gonna be humpin late nighters .

You guys stick with it , looking forward to the progress and even more so, seeing you silly clowns this weekend ! thumb.gif

make sure to have an idea on cost of this mod this weekend, I've got a little something brewin

we'll start the negotiations at a hundro and a hot 30 of keystuns :flipgotcha: