• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project - 38 Special

drool Very nice stuff, wouldnt expect the parts list to be lacking though. John has good taste in everything except paint jobs ! :flipoff1:

John Galbreath Jr. said:
It will be Purple with flames. :flipoff1:
grabber green flames? I watched batman when I was like 12. The joker's cars were purple with green wheels. Since then I always wanted a rig purple with grabber green flames. I did my first dedicated wheelin truck (80 fullsize) in those colors and loved it.

Hey look, random thought guy is back

Well, metal is getting stuck together.

shop27026.jpg

shop27032.jpg

shop27034.jpg

I like this project alot. Something different is always good. Can't stand to see the same old thing running around everywhere. One reason I sold my jeep. Can't wait to see the progress on this rig. Everything Wide Open Design puts out is jam up. Good luck with it. :dblthumb:

Time for some more updates to John's build.

This buggy is going to be one of the most unique ones I have ever built.So, trying to get all of the design work done has been a major undertaking but I am really happy with the way it is turning out. With the lines of the tube work following those of the 38 pick up every thing is different than building a regular buggy. I think the look is kind of coming out and when the fenders go on it will be easier to see what the buggy mimics and the originality of the build.

I'll start off with the pictures that I know John is the most anxious to see.

Here is the front sheet metal mocked up on the buggy.

shop29064.jpg

shop29065.jpg

Keep in mind the whole front clip will move a few inches forward to give the look of a cowl area and give me a place to attach a windshield frame.

The next pictures show the top art of the cage Which John and I originally planned on making look like the cab of the pick up truck. With repairs in mind as well as a I felt like I could make the cage look better than the original cab we decided to go for the look of a roadster truck.

So I laid back the A pillar some and angled them in along with the B pillar instead of having a boxed cab area it looks more sporty.

shop29066.jpg

shop29081.jpg

shop29078.jpg

The one part that sicks out to every one that looks at the buggy is the running board bar. It it the bar that that is going to be the most significant bar of the vehicle. It runs straight as the actual body lines angle in to a point at the front of the truck.

I built the bar out of .250 Wall thickness DOM to help from bending or getting dented by rocks. This is going to be the bar that the fenders start from.

shop29092.jpg

shop29093.jpg

All of the four link brackets are on the axles and the chassis too. We nailed down the font we wanted yesterday and the links should ship from Branik on Friday.

shop29086.jpg

shop29087.jpg

shop29089.jpg

shop29069.jpg

shop29070.jpg

shop29071.jpg

shop29072.jpg

That is going to be one COOL RIDE. Nice mixture of state of the art and Old School coming together. Great Job so far Adam. :woot: :dblthumb:

Looking good Woodlee. :dblthumb: John this thing is going to be sweet. loller.gif What is the wheel base?

PIMP! I love the way that front end looks on this thing! Make yourself so money and start making those front ends out of fiberglass before someone else does.

Ok some more parts came in and some more work has been done.

On the the pics.

The new aluminum links Showed up from Branik Machine.

They are fully polished solid 7075 link with custom engraving on the the lower links. John and Nan found a font that matches the font on the tail gate. These kind of details are going to set this truck off.

shop31006.jpg

shop31008.jpg

Next the old shocks came back from Fox from being refurbished and new chrome plating added.

shop31041.jpg

shop31044.jpg

We got the front tubes laid out for the front of the buggy to support the hood and the shocks.

shop31020.jpg

I really contemplated many different ways to tie the look of the rear bed posts with some thing that would be strong. So I just made some out of 4 different 1/8" steel. Welded them up and then ground them down and welded them to a piece of square tubing for the look just like the 38 truck has.

shop32001.jpg

shop32014.jpg

shop32006.jpg

shop32017.jpg

shop32022.jpg

shop32025.jpg

shop32043.jpg

Next came the I got the rear shocks mounted.

shop32038.jpg

I bent the shock tabs out at the top to give them a little better look and spread the load out a little better. It will cool real good when they are gusseted up.

shop32040.jpg